Trying to get into the field having minimal/no real experience...

Hello everyone, first post. I'm a young guy, 22, live in Toronto, Can. I am heading toward my second year of HVAC training at George Brown College. I have my entry level Gas Tech. license and by the end of next school year I will have my Gas Tech 2 license. I seem to be understanding the concepts and principles that HVAC technologies work under, I am getting adequate shop time and my instructors are great. Most of the students in my program struggle with the bookwork, the mathematics, and the electrical fundamentals. It seems to me, talking through this stuff with my peers, that I'm getting along a little better with the underlying principles than most of the students in the program. But, knowing more about this stuff and having a better understanding than my peers is not where my stress lies.

Heres my struggle: networking. I'm not a very social person. I actually suffer from pretty severe social anxiety issues. I wanted to get into this trade because I know I am capable of doing the work, the pay is decent, and I thought, because of the demand for workers, once I had my license, I would be almost sailing from there. Well, its looking like I was pretty wrong about that. Getting involved in this field, it really is a matter of who you know, not what you know. So, I want to know from this forum, what are chances like of landing a job where at a company where you don't know anyone. I feel like most of my applying will be done by walking in off the street. Reading over threads in this forum, that seems an unlikely path for a young student to attain an apprenticeship.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone can give my advice on walking in off the street and applying. When I hit school again in September, I am planning to socialize a lot more with my instructors. My refrigeration theory instructor also used to struggle with anxiety issues when he was younger, so hopefully talking to him will get me some sympathy points and he might choose to help me out a little (I think his impression of me now is that I'm some pothead druggie). It is really the job interview that I have the hardest time with. My physical symptoms of anxiety always show through during an interview. Sweating, trembling, and blushing are pretty unavoidable things for me. I have had to wipe the sweat from my face several times just writing this post.

I think the forum will be a home of mine, at least for the summer. I need to keep myself engaged in HVAC conversation so nothing slips my mind.

Anyone here have anything to say about getting a job in the Toronto area? I also have a strong feeling that I will eventually need to move out of the city to find work. This city seems to be already pretty saturated with people who know what they're doing.

I understand what it's like to be in your position. I am extremely introverted and a little misanthropic at times. You have to get out of your comfort zone and put on a happy face.

The large metro areas are always where the best work and pay is. That is where you will find many of the people with specialized skill sets who are financially secure and have made this trade their b*tch.

Good luck to you.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson