Ice-o-matic snapping sound

i am currently working on a very old ice-o-matic modular cube machine, the system has no wiring diagram or manual. The problem i am having is once the time delay switch closes a contactor snapping sound happens, everything shuts down and then within two seconds later it starts over again. There is no contactor though, there is just a potential relay and a couple overload relays. the system is about 15 years old.

The snapping sound might be the hot gas selonoid. I would cheeck to make sure that it is wired properly, and not shorted to anything else.

http://www.iceomatic.com/Service-and...Documentation/

I haven't worked on one that old, but I would look at the ejector motor and switch behind the evap plate, if they had that back then. It should not be able to terminate the harvest until the ejector makes its full revolution, which takes longer than 2 seconds.

theirs a high temp limit on the suction line........... it terminates defrost.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep6275 View Post
    theirs a high temp limit on the suction line........... it terminates defrost.
    True, but isn't this high temp limit in series with the ejector cam switch? I bypassed the high temp switch once when it failed and the machine actually worked fine.

that high temp switch wont let machine harvest. i rember walking up on a machine that the high temp switch was stuck open and when i opened the machine up it was a block of ice.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm88 View Post
    that high temp switch wont let machine harvest. i rember walking up on a machine that the high temp switch was stuck open and when i opened the machine up it was a block of ice.
    Exactly. And if you short it and leave it that way it works fine. I think the purpose of it is to keep the machine from bouncing in and out of harvest if the charge runs low. I only know this because parts are scarce for anything not Manitowoc here, so you learn which parts you can do without!

it just terminates defrost if the suction line gets too hot. like if the ejector motor sticks and doesnt make the micro switch. and the ice all melts..........................

jeep

Quote Originally Posted by jeep6275 View Post
    it just terminates defrost if the suction line gets too hot. like if the ejector motor sticks and doesnt make the micro switch. and the ice all melts..........................

jeep
    Ahhh...that makes sense! I love Ice-O-Matics.

Quote Originally Posted by man from trane View Post
    Ahhh...that makes sense! I love Ice-O-Matics.
    just a poor mans manitowoc