Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I can not work in ill fitting polyester uniforms, I refused to wear them. I show respect, wear clean jeans and company tee shirt. I'm the only employee without one, guess my work stands out, I'm still employed

we used to have a uniform company take care of all our uniforms...they where the cheapest polyester ever. they would come back stinking only half as bad as what you turned in. Everyone slowly stopped wearing them. I stopped after getting the torch a bit to close and saw what the shirt did...never again.

Jeans, Tims and a company Tee nice and easy! lol

Company provides us with logo t-shirt/button polo/ and long sleeve button up with collar (our choice on what one we wear). They reimburse us for 3 pairs of blue Dickies a year. We have to be tucked in too. Leather safety toe boots and a belt. Hat optional. Never shorts, i think its a safety thing. In my opinion, if you show up in shorts it doesn't look like you're ready to work. I started my career working in South Carolina attics, never once wore shorts.

Yeah, right....

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 33 View Post
    I wear a company tee(not tucked in) & cargo shorts .. to hot to wear anything else .. my tats can't be covered anyway so it is what it is. I'm a great technician & my abilities speak for itself & my reputation as a tech keeps me on top of the pay scale. as far as first impression, im sure the first 30 seconds the old, snobby hoity toity type ppl attempt to judge me but as soon as they see my skill all that is out the window .. that whole tucked in, button down look is far from comfortable & the majority of the outfits out here like that r scumbag ripoff sales ppl anyway . . lol but im also that guy u wouldn't look sideways at n 9 out of 10 ppl inquire about my tats wanting to show theirs. especially women. here in nj I guess life is different
    Maybe one of these days you'll grow-up & want to actually look & act like a pro (if you're allowed on the PRO's forums, I'll wonder why after reading a post like that, lol!).

Often I wonder why we complain about our clients complaining about our pricing when we don't even carry or present ourselves like the professionals we are! If we want to be treated & respected like a prowe not only must be able to fix A/C's like pro's we also must dress, groom & look like pro's.
    WHY?

I work at a hospital, and I think it's funny, but we (the engineers) are the only ones who DO wear a uniform. The nurses, docs, PCA's, etc all wear pretty much whatever they want. Even the OR staff wear their own 'custom' scrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    Maybe one of these days you'll grow-up & want to actually look & act like a pro (if you're allowed on the PRO's forums, I'll wonder why after reading a post like that, lol!).

Often I wonder why we complain about our clients complaining about our pricing when we don't even carry or present ourselves like the professionals we are! If we want to be treated & respected like a prowe not only must be able to fix A/C's like pro's we also must dress, groom & look like pro's.
    I wonder, of all the 'hack jobs' that go on out there.. what percentage of them are done by 'pro's' in finely pressed uniforms? Honestly, my guess would be that the poorest quality jobs are done by the best dressed techs.

I would be willing to bet that the higher percentage would go to the ones dressed like reprobates. Those who dress like pro's are more likely to act like pro's - though not all "best-dressed techs" act like pro's just like not all pro's dress like pro's. I always wanted to have a uniform 'cause it made feel like a pro. I am, after all, an ex-member of the military so that's just been ingrained into me. Pride in self & all that....
    WHY?

We have 2 different uniforms we wear, the main one is a regular work shirt with EMT pants{changed from uniform pants to the EMT this yr} we all like the EMT pants as they have 2 cargo pockets plus on th eright cargo they have 3 smaller pockets 2 with snap straps that work well for holding small tools, flash lights, etc. Our other uniform is FRC, we are required to wear it at a plant we work at.

I have had techs tell llme they feel more professional with the uniform than street clothes, it gives them more confidence in fromt of the customer. The FRC they could do without as they are hotter than our regular uniform. Heavier material, long sleaves buttoned down. FRC a lot more expensive off hand seems like about 50% higher.

Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    We have 2 different uniforms we wear, the main one is a regular work shirt with EMT pants{changed from uniform pants to the EMT this yr} we all like the EMT pants as they have 2 cargo pockets plus on th eright cargo they have 3 smaller pockets 2 with snap straps that work well for holding small tools, flash lights, etc.
    Since work couldn't get me slacks that fit, I started wearing BDUs. I wear 511 Tac-light Pro, they are a cotton polyester blend. This fall they will be retired at three years old, they are close to impossible to rip. I like all the pockets, double fabric in the Knees and seat. Lot of Bar-tacs at stress points.

Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post

lol grow up huh ? ... I am very professional in the way I carry myself. very much grown, & very well respected & requested by clients. not to mention very well respected by local techs & those involved in the trade. lol ur opinion don't mean d!ck. pardon me if I don't wear tight pants, tuck my shirt in or wear briefs. I am covered in tat2s, wear shorts to work, & am a top paid tech who most companies would love to have as a their employee. my personality goes right along with it ... did I mention im the guy u wouldn't look sideways at in person lol so feel slick with your tongue while at your computer . . . in my area a lot of hisidic jewish men are heavily involved in our trade .. some guys talk sh!t about these guys because of their appearance. they might not look like us, or smell like us ... but they r us .. many are quite the veteran who sharing a convo with is enjoyable . . point being the way one looks is only a statement .. a statement ppl will create their own opinion on regardless of whether shaven or scruffy, bald or pony tail with bandana

I have begged our service dept to provide uniforms. We get cheap t-shirts, and button downs that need a extra button. We have to provide everything else pants, boots, safety equip. Our installers wear whatever they want. As a military vet and a technician I believe in 100% professionalism in my appearance and actions. Integrity First!

However I will be the first to point out that I work regularly with a union tech and a controls tech that look like they just walked out of the biker bar. One with a ponytail, tats and beard, the other bald, loaded with tats and Harley gear. They turn heads when we work together, but they are fantastic gentleman. Soft spoken, big heart and dedicated to their profession. They would be the first guys I call if I ever needed help. Sometimes we judge to quick by the books cover.

I think it's telling that most the comments here about not wanting to look like a scary biker have been about upsetting the old lady customers. Honestly, the current generations don't put near as much stock in the direct appearance, especially as many of those styles are approaching mainstream. As the baby-boomers continue to die off, I honestly don't see as much of a need for the button down shirt-slacks look. Most of the younger generations put more trust/respect in someone who shows a strong sense of personal confidence, than they do in a strong level of personal appearance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast