Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Construction / Installation jeans and work shirt ( usually older uniform shirt ) service clean uniform.

On a job this morning ( renovation in an exsisting office , people carrying on business )1 of TIN BANGER crew looked like HOMELESS person with a job , old tattered tshirt , last years 2 sizes too small gray cloth jogging pants, work boots unlaced and flopping around as he walked ,unshaven , looked like he had a wild weekend , other guy was neat tidy .

We don't do any resi except for friends of the owners so we do wear shorts. I wear a company tee shirt and cargo shorts of some kind. Here in Texas in the middle of the summer it's just to hot and humid to wear long pants on a rooftop. I do wear work boots with steel toes, and I have no tats to cover up.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

I agree with Texas-Tech, here in texas it's just way to hot/humid to run around all the time in pants. We do have uniforms, but we get to choose pants/shorts when we initially got them. Our top tech, has one pair of uniform pants the rest are shorts. Unless it's actually below 50 outside he will NOT wear pants. I have a mix of pants/shorts, we have short sleeve button ups with name/company name, and we actually have company hats. I have long hair that i keep tied into a pony tail, but it's also curly so after a few hrs in an attic or on a roof it's a mess. I'll retie it prior to getting out of the truck for each job though.

We are not allowed to wear shorts. (worker comp)
    I have had uniforms made for me, Shirts with my company name and logo, and my name. 5 uniforms complete with pants, name and logo sewn on $ 335.00
    I get the "art work" I can in the future take the art work to the store and get hats, jackets what have you and have the art work sewn on for an extra 5 bucks. Great deal.

I believe the customer feels better about a guy shown up in a uniform, even if it is dirty. They believe he is skilled, even if he is not. The uniform says pride in the company and workmanship.
    IT is up to the trades man to prove the workmanship part of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by trouble time View Post
    We are not allowed to wear shorts. (worker comp)
    I have had uniforms made for me, Shirts with my company name and logo, and my name. 5 uniforms complete with pants, name and logo sewn on $ 335.00
    I get the "art work" I can in the future take the art work to the store and get hats, jackets what have you and have the art work sewn on for an extra 5 bucks. Great deal.

I believe the customer feels better about a guy shown up in a uniform, even if it is dirty. They believe he is skilled, even if he is not. The uniform says pride in the company and workmanship.
    IT is up to the trades man to prove the workmanship part of the deal.
    Yea I wish that I had a uniform it just makes life easier. I think I would also feel more comfortable.showing up in uniform.Customers that arent comfortable make me feel uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Vactech Ny View Post
    Yea I wish that I had a uniform it just makes life easier. I think I would also feel more comfortable.showing up in uniform.Customers that arent comfortable make me feel uncomfortable.
    Until I had my uniforms, I would use clean Dicky pants and shirts you buy at Walmart. I would wear the black one's, they do not show the dirt as much.
    And they are affordable.

Wish in one hand, poop in the other. Which one gets full first?

Long slacks, because we may have to go on construction sites, no jeans unless below +25 F wind chills. Everyone violates the above except me and one other guy. Safety sends out two notices every year, for signing. So if they get hurt, they are screwed. Must have safety glasses, steel toe boots and hardhat on truck. Which must be worn on all construction sites. If you lean forward, hair cannot drop below chin. We have to wear company supplied T-shirts, Jackets with logo, or we can purchase Golf shirts, with logo. We aren't allowed to wear earbuds or headphones on the job. We can wear hearing protection.

We're actually having this dicussion at my shop right now.

Owner wants polyester dress shirts.
    unfortunetly, those shirts aren't approved for opening an electric box.
    Only cotton shirts are, which is what I'm wearing now, with my company name big, right in the middle. Along with my dress slacks, and my company hat.

In fact, look in my picture, with a hat.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

I love uniforms, When I did not have them I use to get wrangler carpenter pants (black) and were button down shirt in tan, I use to have like 5 t's in tan also (army Navy tan) in the truck so when I would work I use the t's, but when dealing with the customer back to the shirt. It use to give me a more professional confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by cuchulain View Post
    Unless it's actually below 50 outside he will NOT wear pants. .
    My 14 yr old doesn't stop wearing shorts until 20 below!
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Uniforms

I went to a sales class recently that claimed women trust people with a uniform, especially with Khaki pants for some reason, more than someone in jeans and a shirt. I am inclined to agree with them, and I think it is a definite advantage, particularly in residential sales/service. I have had customers call for a second opinion on a problem, and go with our company for the repairs because they didn't trust the other guy that came out first. Even though he was probably capable of doing the work, that bad first impression lost the sale for him.

We wear uniforms at our shop. Company shirt and khakis. Our shirts and hats have our logo on them.

At the school where I am teaching HVAC/R, we stress appearnce and professionalism to our students. We provide uniform polo shirts with the school logo on them and the students must purchase khaki trousers to wear with the shirt.
    If students show up to class and they do not have the uniform on them, we send them straight home, no attendance out of uniform. So far we have not had to send anyone home.
    For myself, I prefer a uniform as a mark of professionalism. I have gotten filthy nasty dirty on jobs and have kept spare shirts in the truck to change to a slightly more clean appearance.
    Biggest problem I have had is with companies supplying the uniforms not providing what will fit me. I have battled furiously with some former employers about that and ended up buying my own trousers that were as close a match to the company trousers as I could find them. I got so many write ups about being out of uniform, even when the company would not provide the proper size clothes and my supervisor promising that he would address the issue, that I still got fired for failing to abide by company policy.
    I seriously enjoyed that dismissal.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast