+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uniforms / Dress Code???

Post Likes

Uniforms / Dress Code???

Just curious how many of you service managers/owners have your employees wear uniforms and/or adhere to some sort of dress/appearance code? Behind the counter I see a lot of different ways that technicians choose to go to a job, and I have to say that some of them are rather........questionable.

Some companies have nice button up shirts with the company name and the techs name on them, others have simple t-shirts that identify the company. They also have something on the truck/van with the company name on it.

But I have also seen things like this: the technician for the three truck operation in the torn jeans, black t-shirt with skulls on it, earlobes stretched out so wide you could drive a volkswagen through them, tattoos that include nudes, and hair that looks like squirels nested in it, driving a plain unmarked van. He has that "Just got out of jail and is on work release" look about him. The kind of thing that makes the 65 year old lady who made the service call afraid to open her front door when he knocks.

I always thought that looking like you cared what the customer thinks was fairly important.

Post Likes
    I agree, we wear uniforms and we don't hire the people that look tribal. If they have that look like they just got out of jail going, they are not getting a job with us any ways, that look pretty much goes with an attitude any ways. We have enough problems in business, why knowingly take on more? I know alot of people would not go to a surgeon that looked like he just got out of jail and had ear lobe rings.

Post Likes
    I heard that people form a first impression in 3-5 seconds.Which if this is true they base this only on appearance.Your appearance can say I take pride in what I do or I could care less.So I think a uniform is an important part of relaying to the customer that you care what they think.

Post Likes
    Some people don't give a rats ass how they look, or even worse how they represent the company they work for. You won't catch me knocking on a customers door without my shirt tucked in and a belt. Now I'm a service technician, I work on construction sites, roof, attic and crawl spaces. I get dirty running service that's why you won't catch me in pants or polished boots like the One Hour guys. Blue jeans and leather steel toe work boots is the only way to go for the kind of work I do. But I always carry an extra set of cloths in the truck. You never know when you got to stop by that 65 year old lady house aFter rebuilding a Carlyle.

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    Post Likes
    All guys in our small company wear uniforms, clean pressed pants, ironed shirt, clean black boots, must be clean shaven or tidy beard. Visible tattoos must be covered up.

We get filthy, mucky,sweaty and splattered with pooky on regular basis. I carry a complete spare uniform in truck (yes, under punders too!) along with a bottle of water and grooming bag(deoderant, wash cloth, breath mints, etc.)

When we were busy I would often be running installs then doing late service calls, 70 year old ms smith doesn't want to see an unkempt, smelly sweaty mess turn up at her door...
    You cannot cheat an honest man. But that doesn't stop people trying!

Post Likes

Uniform question

I start a new hvac job tomorrow and there is no uniform. What do you suggest I wear tomorrow its my first HVAC job as a helper service/ duct work? Help me out guys

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vactech Ny View Post
    I start a new hvac job tomorrow and there is no uniform. What do you suggest I wear tomorrow its my first HVAC job as a helper service/ duct work? Help me out guys
    Clean work pants or jeans(no shorts), boots w/ safety toe, clean plain tee shirt(no logo) w/ button down short sleeve work shirt, and if you prefer a hat, no logo on it.

Post Likes
    I prefer uniforms. Saves me money and looks more professional. The only issue I have, is the chosen uniforms some companies pick. Comfort is the last thing they think about.

Post Likes

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    Clean work pants or jeans(no shorts), boots w/ safety toe, clean plain tee shirt(no logo) w/ button down short sleeve work shirt, and if you prefer a hat, no logo on it.
    Thanks alot. I wish we had uniforms also, alot easier and quicker to get up in the moring and get out ya know.

Post Likes
    We get a set of embroidered t shirts every few yrs. Pants are up to us. Most of the us wear dickies jeans. We had a guy (who did not last long) actually show up in sandals. His excuse was that he was going to run gas line on a roof so why did it matter. he got sent home but i think that's what he was gunning for.

I saw a "tech" at the supply house once in pressed dress khakis and a white button up shirt with company logo and his name on it. Im not sure i want that person working on my equipment just as much as the drifter. To clean give the impression of a salesman to me.

Post Likes
    I have worked for companies on both ends of the spectrum. My preference is for a uniform. However, for those companies in more rural areas, uniform costs can get prohibitive. In those cases, clean jeans and a golf shirt or button down shirt with the company logo on it is the way to go.

I am a naturally clean person. I have taken a lot of grief for it over the years. I am the guy that can clean an old oil fired beast and still stay moderately clean. My secret, I keep a pair of coveralls in the truck. Takes 2 minutes to put them on and walla. No mess.

It is common for us to clean an oil boiler in the morning and then repair a faucet in Mrs. Smith's kitchen with white tile in the afternoon.

I keep a change of clothes in the truck and recommend that my guys do as well.

Post Likes

THanks

thanks guys I appreciate the insite it really helps me. I'm such a newbie.

Post Likes
    I wear a company tee(not tucked in) & cargo shorts .. to hot to wear anything else .. my tats can't be covered anyway so it is what it is. I'm a great technician & my abilities speak for itself & my reputation as a tech keeps me on top of the pay scale. as far as first impression, im sure the first 30 seconds the old, snobby hoity toity type ppl attempt to judge me but as soon as they see my skill all that is out the window .. that whole tucked in, button down look is far from comfortable & the majority of the outfits out here like that r scumbag ripoff sales ppl anyway . . lol but im also that guy u wouldn't look sideways at n 9 out of 10 ppl inquire about my tats wanting to show theirs. especially women. here in nj I guess life is different

Post Likes
    Construction / Installation jeans and work shirt ( usually older uniform shirt ) service clean uniform.

On a job this morning ( renovation in an exsisting office , people carrying on business )1 of TIN BANGER crew looked like HOMELESS person with a job , old tattered tshirt , last years 2 sizes too small gray cloth jogging pants, work boots unlaced and flopping around as he walked ,unshaven , looked like he had a wild weekend , other guy was neat tidy .

Post Likes
    We don't do any resi except for friends of the owners so we do wear shorts. I wear a company tee shirt and cargo shorts of some kind. Here in Texas in the middle of the summer it's just to hot and humid to wear long pants on a rooftop. I do wear work boots with steel toes, and I have no tats to cover up.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    I agree with Texas-Tech, here in texas it's just way to hot/humid to run around all the time in pants. We do have uniforms, but we get to choose pants/shorts when we initially got them. Our top tech, has one pair of uniform pants the rest are shorts. Unless it's actually below 50 outside he will NOT wear pants. I have a mix of pants/shorts, we have short sleeve button ups with name/company name, and we actually have company hats. I have long hair that i keep tied into a pony tail, but it's also curly so after a few hrs in an attic or on a roof it's a mess. I'll retie it prior to getting out of the truck for each job though.

Post Likes
    We are not allowed to wear shorts. (worker comp)
    I have had uniforms made for me, Shirts with my company name and logo, and my name. 5 uniforms complete with pants, name and logo sewn on $ 335.00
    I get the "art work" I can in the future take the art work to the store and get hats, jackets what have you and have the art work sewn on for an extra 5 bucks. Great deal.

I believe the customer feels better about a guy shown up in a uniform, even if it is dirty. They believe he is skilled, even if he is not. The uniform says pride in the company and workmanship.
    IT is up to the trades man to prove the workmanship part of the deal.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble time View Post
    We are not allowed to wear shorts. (worker comp)
    I have had uniforms made for me, Shirts with my company name and logo, and my name. 5 uniforms complete with pants, name and logo sewn on $ 335.00
    I get the "art work" I can in the future take the art work to the store and get hats, jackets what have you and have the art work sewn on for an extra 5 bucks. Great deal.

I believe the customer feels better about a guy shown up in a uniform, even if it is dirty. They believe he is skilled, even if he is not. The uniform says pride in the company and workmanship.
    IT is up to the trades man to prove the workmanship part of the deal.
    Yea I wish that I had a uniform it just makes life easier. I think I would also feel more comfortable.showing up in uniform.Customers that arent comfortable make me feel uncomfortable.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vactech Ny View Post
    Yea I wish that I had a uniform it just makes life easier. I think I would also feel more comfortable.showing up in uniform.Customers that arent comfortable make me feel uncomfortable.
    Until I had my uniforms, I would use clean Dicky pants and shirts you buy at Walmart. I would wear the black one's, they do not show the dirt as much.
    And they are affordable.

Wish in one hand, poop in the other. Which one gets full first?

Post Likes
    Long slacks, because we may have to go on construction sites, no jeans unless below +25 F wind chills. Everyone violates the above except me and one other guy. Safety sends out two notices every year, for signing. So if they get hurt, they are screwed. Must have safety glasses, steel toe boots and hardhat on truck. Which must be worn on all construction sites. If you lean forward, hair cannot drop below chin. We have to wear company supplied T-shirts, Jackets with logo, or we can purchase Golf shirts, with logo. We aren't allowed to wear earbuds or headphones on the job. We can wear hearing protection.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in