Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation

On Tuesday Im getting a new HVAC system installed.
    Replacing 20+ equipment. I went with Goodman GMV9 93%
    2 stage variable 70,000 btu and the CLQ 30 14 seer ac 2 1/2 ton with a 3 ton coil. I'm scared and excited at the same time. Two things I wonder about can the out take be near the gas meter? And can they rig a 1 stage t stat to run a 2 stage furnace? They are providing a digital Honeywell and when I asked the woman at the shop if it was a 2 stage thermostat she said they make it work which didnt really answer my question. If it's a 2 stage furnace it needs a 2 stage t stat right?

While some of us prefer a two stage thermostat for "true" two stage operation, the furnace controls can be set to use a single stage thermostat.

With a single stage thermostat the furnace will operate for a set time on low stage before the second stage kicks in. This is still beneficial but not the best use of a two stage furnace.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

tell them you want a 2 stage stat. There are 2 ways that they can hack a single stage stat into a 2 stage system. They can connect the 2 stages together so that you never get the low stage at all, in which case whats the point of paying extra for it? Or depending on the furnace model they have some logic built in to startup in low and switch to high after a certain amount of time if the temperature is not reached. But this isn's as good either. If you have a 2 stage stat and you come home and turn down the AC more than a couple of degrees it will go to stage 2 immediately, if you have a single stage stat you have to wait for it to timeout, 5 or 10 minutes or more, until it will go to full speed. Same with heating.

A real 2 stage stat isn't all that much more expensive, and you're already paying extra for a 2 stage system that you'll only be getting partial use of without it!

So if it's not a 2 stage thermostat I should insist on one for the best performance. From the posts Ive read you are a goodman suporter. Your input has made me feel very comfortable with my choice. What about the gas meter question what do you think. Thanks.

I think you need to rephrase the meter question, I am not sure what you are asking

the pvc that vents out Co2 to the outside of my home
    can it be near my gas meter?

Now I understand, for most 90+ furnaces, they require 4' horizontal seperation from gas and electric meters.

Spending this kind of bucks for a 2 stage furnace, don't cripple it with the timer staging it. You have constant cycling instead of gentle, comfy long run periods in cold weather. Now how efficient is that? How comfortable having the furnace frequently shifting between off, low & high.

I'm glad to see I'm in good company with my opinion on two stage controls.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

You need to be careful not to confuse comfort with efficiency, you selected a 2 stage for comfort, it has no efficiecny benifits to speak of but since you did choose comfort, you might as well insist on the two stage stat. Of course if you dont have the proper wiring in the wall to the stat, it may require additional labor to pull new wire. In Most cases this is simple but some cases it is very difficult and sometimes impossible.

Waiting for someone to suggest the Visionpro stat....perfect for this. IMO
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

i did choose effiency more than comfort when I decided on this model
    It's supossed to be energy star compliant and 93% efficient.
    Why would you sugest I chose one over the other?
    And the thermostat is a focus pro just not sure which model

[Edited by wooodstok on 09-01-2005 at 01:18 PM]

RoBo would you describe the difference in the way it would run with a single stage v/s a 2 stage t stat.
    Pretty please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast