Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Another problem will be where to stay. I'd bet that there are no motels with rooms within 50 miles of where you need to be. In two weeks there won't be any in over a hundred miles.

W already have no hotel rooms worth staying in for approx. 130 miles north of N.O. Phone service (land and cell) is very erratic. But the good news is that all our techs are counted for although many of them lost every thing including their work truck.
    I was in Florida after Ivan and conditions were bad. I have already been in some of the bad areas here and this mess makes me ready to go back to Florida.

This may sound terrible but, as I see the crackheads and heroin addicts spin out of control in New Orleans, I just don't care to help them. I would say 99% of the people stranded still are the ones who have done nothing but leech off my taxes their whole lives anyway. You all do know, they could have started walking, and ten miles torwards the west, on dry land, they would be fed and hydrated and then more easily been evacuated. I run five miles every morning.

Yeagh, In the Missisipi area and Alabama area that would be more apealing. I think it will take till spring before they are even close to being ready for any intitial efforts by someone like me. This is a massive area of Destruction. Okay there showing all of us on TV, New Orleans, Biloxi and such. But, think about every single home, gas station, hardware store, Mcdonalds, Home depot, the list could go on and on. All of it has to be either redone or remodeled. And not just in New Orleans or Biloxi, were talking small towns, suburbs, ect.

I have a question Icemeister. Obviously, your hurricanes were not as strong or of equal destruction but it did mess you guys up. Okay so now, for months I recall your were busting your ass trying to get to all the customers and up and running. Since because there just trying to get going again too, I am sure it took some time to get paid, right? That can be just as disrutive to a business like ours. Waiting 3 to 6 months for payment. And the real **** of it is, they aint trying to screw you, there just trying to get going again. What do you think of this, your experience is valuable. Once this all gets going. Most of this is non repairable and must have nw equipment, or do you think things will be repairable. I dunno. Never been through it before, but in your post wirtting about it, I was surprized to hear you say that, you were repairing and not replacing.

I care nothing for the crack heads myself. They have made this problem worse and the media as always paints them as average suffering and neglected citizens.

Don't forget you can always give blood and not by laceration. They always need BLOOD.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Vacation coming up next month

Have some relatives in Conventry. Will hook up with some volunteers for clean up or rebuild.

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    ...I have a question Icemeister. Obviously, your hurricanes were not as strong or of equal destruction but it did mess you guys up. Okay so now, for months I recall your were busting your ass trying to get to all the customers and up and running. Since because there just trying to get going again too, I am sure it took some time to get paid, right? That can be just as disrutive to a business like ours. Waiting 3 to 6 months for payment. And the real **** of it is, they aint trying to screw you, there just trying to get going again. What do you think of this, your experience is valuable. Once this all gets going. Most of this is non repairable and must have nw equipment, or do you think things will be repairable. I dunno. Never been through it before, but in your post wirtting about it, I was surprized to hear you say that, you were repairing and not replacing.
    I too was surprised there was not a lot more replacement to be had considering some of the damage around here. In the worst hit areas I had to deal with the buildings were so blown away the owners just salvaged what equipment they could and moved on to other locations, some hjust walked away. Many had units that were pushed to the side, blown over and one even blown off the roof, yet were immediately able to be repaired and operational.

Operational is the key to what I was saying before about trying to get as many customers able to reopen as possible. With the chaos of those days there was no way I or anyone else could have gotten new equipment installed in a reasonable time frame, so the stuff got patched up so it would run. I was able to get five or six stores up and running every day at times. That is what I focused on.

Sure there were rusty old units with holes in the condenser coils from flying roof tiles that I would have given last rites to under different circumstances, but if I saw a way to get it on line I did just that.

Some of the worst units I got to replace later on anyway. Many still await replacement.....the storm damage greatly shortening their normal lifespan. I'm in no hurry. I'll wait.

As far as getting paid I had no problems at all. A few tried to get me to wait until their insurance check came in, but I just told them the the repairs would also have to wait because I need to get paid for my work now.....I'm not a banker.

Nearly all of them tried to get me to vastly inflate their losses so they could scam their insurance companies. That's just wrong and illegal, but there was a lot of that going on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12