+ Reply to Thread

Thread: poor air flow in one register

Post Likes

poor air flow in one register

I work at an apt community and one of the registers has almost no air flow. Does any one have any tips on how to find the restriction without tearing apart the whole ceiling? Its an all flex system with the exception of the plenum.
    I know a camera would work to some extent but I cant even get this company to buy the proper tools for measuring superheat.

Thanks in advance for your patience with my stupid question.

Paul

Post Likes
    Has it always been an issue or is this a recent problem?
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    Unknown, the tenant just moved into the apt, and my company just bought the place. I dont see any fresh drywall work or anything so Im unsure what the cause could be. Also, its the 2nd floor of a 3 story building and theres no evidence of recent work on the 3rd floor.

Post Likes
    did you try looking inside register to see prior tenant blocked it with something

Post Likes
    maybe the system was never balanced

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pfischer View Post
    I work at an apt community and one of the registers has almost no air flow. Does any one have any tips on how to find the restriction without tearing apart the whole ceiling? Its an all flex system with the exception of the plenum.
    I know a camera would work to some extent but I cant even get this company to buy the proper tools for measuring superheat.

Thanks in advance for your patience with my stupid question.

Paul
    In my experience apartments, & condo's are usually flexed, and there are always low flow registers because of improper design and installation. Don't worry about the one register, unless you intend on replacing all the duct!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by frio View Post
    did you try looking inside register to see prior tenant blocked it with something
    Yes, I wish it was that easy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by avilleg0 View Post
    maybe the system was never balanced
    I dont think theres much I can do about that, the A/H has a fiberboard (correct term?) plenum and three straight take offs . the bedroom being the longest and its only about 10-15 feet away. Theres literally no room to work on the unit as they are built into a closet with about 6 inches of clearance all around.

I do have to service the blower and clean the coil but I was just hoping maybe someone had a trick that I havent thought of.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jackpiner View Post
    In my experience apartments, & condo's are usually flexed, and there are always low flow registers because of improper design and installation. Don't worry about the one register, unless you intend on replacing all the duct!
    Yeah I figured that was the case,but the tennant is complaining about the room in question being too warm. I was just hoping I wouldnt have to tear the drywall down.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in