Just went to a side job a buddy of mine gave me. He said it wasn't cooling and wasn't getting any air coming out of the vents. Of course the first thing I think of is to check the filter and didn't find one. Went to the air handler and I'm not exaggerating one bit, I found 3/4" of dirt, grime, hair and everything else on it. Not only did I find this but he just got done painting his house (with a sprayer) and the top layer was nothing but semi gloss white paint. A gallon and a half of cleaner, close to 500 gallons of water and 3 hours later it finally came clean. It ended up costing him a good chunk of change and I just could not help but rub it into his face that what cost him $XXX.XX could have been prevented by spending $6-$10 in filters these past 6 months. Gotta love the idiots!!

Gotta love the idiots!!

thats a nice thing to say about your friends. Me , thats the first thing I ask my friends when I go to there house, because they are going to ask me for free advice when it breaks anyway , so this way i get the jump on them

Actually the job I did wasn't for my buddy. He owns his own service and when he is overwhelmed he'll give me the business he can't handle. It usually amounts to one or two calls per week but that's extra cash. I learned long ago not to do work on actual friends equipment as that means you'll be married to it for life and never get much for it. I usually will give them advice and then tell them to call so and so and he'll give them a real good deal. I seem to keep friendships more that way.

just came back a little while ago from a friend of a friend's house. Didn't know there was a filter.

Ended up pulling out a washable media filter that litteraly had about 2" of dust lint and cat hair on it.

When I first seen it....I thought it was part of the ductwork. Behind the return grill in this condo was a small 30" piece of duct from the enge of the wall to the side of the unit. I thought the filter was the back of it !!

Never seen anything like it.

Went to a no A/C call this summer at a 6 year old house. The homeowner met me outside, and as I was getting my tools out of the van, I asked her a few routine questions like "have you been changing your filters regularly?" She said "Filters?, this system has no filters." You can imagine what a mess that was.

I really thought you all were making this stuff up about filters....so I asked some of my coworkers about their a/c filters...and how often they change them....got some lost cow looks..some my system does not have a filter and some answered every 3 months "or so" like it says on the filter. Guess out of site out of mind applies to a/c filters.

BTW we change our 2 filters every 2 weeks on payday...with 3 dogs and 3 kids it looks like a fur covered dust ball in that short of time.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"