older lennox tripping breakers
    First thing i did was replace the breaker same problem took the unit panel off and saw something fried

any clue as to what could have cause such a failure or what it used to be? I know its an old unit and might have to be replaced. the tech that came out saw it and said the whole unit was prob fried didnt exactly know what the part was so i had no confidence in him thats why i came here

thanks for your time

Rob miller so cal

It's a PTCR (positive temperature coefficient resistor), AKA "soft start kit." Why would you replace the breaker before analyzing the system for possible problems?

That type of failure is common for that part as there is a lot of heat generated through it's normal usage.

You're a homeowner aren't you? You know playing around with something you know nothing about could end up costing you a lot of money and grief right?

[Edited by HVAC Pro on 08-31-2005 at 08:33 PM]
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

HVAC pro is right, people get hurt or killed all the time trying to make repairs themselves to save a few dollars, use common sense and you'll be fine, don't take my post the wrong way, I'm really trying to saying you from harm.

Good Luck

I changed the breaker cause after i reset it the main started tripping when the unit tried to turn on so I used Successive Approximation. Yes im a home owner and yes i know i could cause more problems thats why im here to learn about what i can do and cannot. i can see when something is fried and there are lots of techs who really arnt that good
    so im just educating myself
    thanks for your answer Ill call another tech to come out

Make sure the power is off to the unit. Unplug the 2 wires from the fried part, use electrical tape and tape the 2 wires off. Put the cover back on the unit and reset the breaker and try for a restart. The unit will more than likley run. Call a Lennox Dealer in your area to replace the part.

I do know eneough to pull the fuses and turn off the breakers before i touch anything electrical thanks for your concern not every body jump into things blindly

Thanks fixer will try your advice

thats what i needed not a lecture as to what not to do

Did the compressor restart? Is it cooling?

it said if the power is out for more than 24hrs not to turn on till power has been restablished for 24hrs cause of oil rectifier or something like that i turned power back on and check tomorrow

i do really apreciate your input and help
    Rob
    in not so hot so cal at least not today

I believe it will restart for you. Keep in mind to have the thermistor replaced as soon as you can. The thermistor helps the compressor to have an easy start.

Will do for sure I wont even run it along time until i replace the part
    I do hope it does the trick
    you are the best

I have never seen or heard about this soft start kit, I have worked with PTCs. Could someone explain why this would be used. It looks like it only has two wires or am I mistaken?
    The obvious is obvious

Just interested in knowing

Hi Rob,
    I just was interested in knowing if you got your thermister changed and if so how is the ole Lennox running?
    Have a great Labor Day weekend.