Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED ADVISE

I was hoping someone could give me some adivse.I have a 10yr old ruud 10 seer 4ton unit,I think the relief valve in the compressor is leaking(sounds like air from a tire)should I just replace the condensor with the same unit or should I go for the extra money and go to a 14 seer unit & coil,there is a big price diff. I'm not sure if it's worth it.Any advise would be helpfull.

What does a technician diagnose? Such a failure is very rare. Could be something simple.

If you went 14 SEER, you would need a new outdoor unit, new indoor coil and in many brands a variable speed indoor unit.

What is your summer like? How are your electric bills? In many areas, best bet would be new Rheem/Ruud/WeatherKing outdoor unit to match that coil. But if high SEER is worth it, 12 SEER may be a better value unless you were interested in a new variable speed furnace too.

ThankYou for your reply.I live in New Jersey.I had a tech come out last fri.He just listened to the unit & said the internal pressure relief valve was stuck open & that the compressor was no good.He then said he would not replace the compressor because the unit is 10yrs old and only a 10 seer.He never hook up gauges?I had the unit moved about 1 1/2 yrs ago,Is it possible the unit is over filled.I look at the condensor and there is no oil stains near it.I can tell you the story but don't want to wast your time with all the small details

call someone else to look at it. can't tell if comp is bad without guages on it. could just be relief doing its job

Is it not cooling? Many techs can hear an open internal relief the minute they turn the corner but the only way to really know for sure or why would be put gauges on it.

Is this a H/P or A/C?

Thanks again for the response.I don't want to sound stupid but I don't know what yoy mean by h/p.Here is a brief description. I can hear the compressor running,air at the vents is cool,however the unit can run for 12 hrs and never really drop ythe temp in the house.also in the last month it has popped the 40amp breaker several times.My concern is I don't want to spend thousands if I can spend hundreds.I know nothing about home a/c so I'm at the mercy of contractors.

h/p would be heat pump, a/c would be stright air conditioning, sorry.

If the original compresor is out of warranty, the replacement compressor along with the labor to do it is going to be pretty steep. And when its all said and done, you still have a 10 year old unit.

As for the problem, you might want to get a tech to look at it a little closer, it may simply be overcharged.

10 Seer Condenser

My opinion would be to replace condenser (IF NEEDED) with
    another ten seer condenser.
    I would not spend extra for higher seer because of your
    location in New Jersey, if you lived down south it would be another thing.

You have to change coil to go above 10 seer,if you want to do the outdoor NOW after JAN 2006 you got to do both (13 SEER MIN).If your staying you might want to upgrade the WHOLE system. I think your power company offers SEER rebates.And the dealers are running them also.LOL
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

I can't thank you all enough for your responses.Last night Itok some freon out of the unit throuh the shrader valve,it seemed to have quieted the whistleing noise some,also unit did drop the inside temp about 10 degr.less then outside temp so maybe I,m on the write path.I thought calling in a pro hvac would give me the answer;instead just more questions.

Cv1632
    Please tell me YOU didn’t remove the refrigerant yourself.
    This is not a job for a homeowner or DIY.
    YOU must to get a qualified repair person out there A.S.A.P.

Yes I did.I figured it was not working anyway? But in my defense it seems to have helped not hurt. Again i'm just pulling at straws.

Originally posted by cv1632
    Yes I did.I figured it was not working anyway? But in my defense it seems to have helped not hurt. Again i'm just pulling at straws.
    Anyone want to call the E.P.A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast