+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is not easy to watch.

Post Likes
    Got hold of our friends in Baton Rouge on cell phone, power is out some wind but all is well, maybe joey did okay too
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes

Larry King

Just said as I was reading this thread:

Upcoming special "How you can Help"

Just heard on end of his show, it is a 3 hr special airing at 8:00 Eastern time on Larry King show. Also heard that many states are sending National Guard Units to help down there. Things will get worse when hunger and idleness sets in. What a tragedy.

[Edited by MikeJ on 08-31-2005 at 10:04 PM]

Post Likes
    unreal. i heard no toilets either. send $$$ to the Red Cross and pray. what's with all the hurricanes lately? end of the world?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Ya, the Four Horseman are just over the horizon

Post Likes

We are okay here

Our company is going to send some refrigerated trucks with ice. The guys at work are setting up a fund at one of the banks for donations. Well put together other projects for the disaster as soon as we get them coordinated.

Post Likes
    Glad you're ok Rob. Do you know of any other HVAC Talk members down that way? I know frigetater is in Mississippi. Haven't heard from him yet. Nice to have you back.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes
    What asistance is being given by other countrys? Why is the military expected to be the saviours? Where are the millions of dollars paid by the government every year to these states for disaster response and relief? Your physical presence is not wanted in these states. The goveners have asked people to stay away. The infrastructure can't support those already there, why add to the burden? As tragic as this is, in a few months, something else will be more important and the after effects of this storm will be a news footnote. Remember the tsunami? You don't hear about it much anymore and you know that mess hasn't been cleaned up.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by troyorr
    What asistance is being given by other countrys? Why is the military expected to be the saviours? Where are the millions of dollars paid by the government every year to these states for disaster response and relief? Your physical presence is not wanted in these states. The goveners have asked people to stay away. The infrastructure can't support those already there, why add to the burden? As tragic as this is, in a few months, something else will be more important and the after effects of this storm will be a news footnote. Remember the tsunami? You don't hear about it much anymore and you know that mess hasn't been cleaned up.
    How do you plan for something like this? People with skills will be needed there. People wanting to lay on the beach won't.

A few months? Have you turned on the TV?

Post Likes
    You know I almost want to go through the TV set listening to these reporters badger, crticize and question the Governors, Fema Leadership ect on why the response is so choatic and what not.

No one, not one guy or a million guys could have prepared for what is going on here, and this is unbelieveable that while we are still in what they call rescue and sustainment of the living, we got friggin unscupulous, ignorant, selfish reporters putting focus on what the governement is not doing right trying to look back on this as if it is time for that sort of After Actions Review.

These many many people you see on TV, just sitting there on roads and such. There starving, dehydrating, maybe few if any sleep, at their most vulnerable for disease, mentally and physically exhausted. And here you got some liberal educated spoiled selfish adult, reporters trying to start arguements with governors and such. My god.

Post Likes
    Matt Lauer was trying to stir shit this morning on the today show

Post Likes
    Originally posted by troyorr
    We're just waiting to hear what you need. The provinces are sending rescuers and dogs as we speak.. Don't want too much influx of volunteers yet just to get in the way and use up the needed supplies...Just professionals who carry their own.

Do you think the paparazzi carry their own? Or do they use up needed, prescious resources?

[Edited by gruntly on 09-01-2005 at 10:11 AM]
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.

Post Likes
    The biggest problem now is no communication, they have people there but don't know where to send them.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    US Military has deployed alot of assets, Marines, Air Force, Army, National Guard. Navy sent 4 LHD's, there almost there, and will start onreps with the LCACS by early am tommorow. Those baby's hold a shit load of food and water. As supply and resupply operations begin with all assets on the ground or just offshore, you will see a markedly improved response. Then I just now understand all national guardsmen from many states who have Military Police and there assets are beginning to arrve by air and boat as we speak. There will be food and water and survivors will begin to be mobilized out of the area. By mid day tommorow I suspect they will be able to make at least a small turn in the right direction.

Just thought I would plug your Armed Forces for a second. These men and women, once on seen, your going to see some incredible things start to happen. Help is on the way. Have faith. Your military, aside from combat, they got this stuff down to a science. Logistics, sustainment, supply, all in cohesion and in coordination between the branches. This is what they do every day. This is why you pay taxes. Your going to start to see why.

Post Likes

Blame

I would't let these state officials totally off the hook.

There are a few key things that should be job #1 for any level of our government. Chief among them would be the safety and security of the citizenry.

I remember years ago watching specials about this very situation on television. They showed a blueprint of what is now occuring. This weakness has been forcasted long ago. We are all going to be effected by this. We sure as **** should be finding out what these officials have been spending their time and our money on, and exactly how much focus they have been putting on emergency preparedness.

I believe it was an army engineer who gave an explanation of the levy failure as it was built only to withstand a category 3 storm. Well WTF! Hello! You live in F'ing Hurricane alley! Could something maybe have been done about this sometime during the last say 30 years or so! Or failing that, maybe you could have drilled your emergency response teams to respond a whole lot more efficiently then what we are seeing.

I think if we knew what some of these officials really spent their time and our funds focussing on, we would all be sickened.

There, I feel better!

Post Likes
    I understand that the world trade center had f flame retardants only in 1/2 the floors. Had it went all the way up the buildings they would not have fell. I understand the people on the Titanic could have done better. Same thing with the Challenger.

It's always easier to point blame after the fact.

Post Likes

hard to watch

I went through survival trng at fort polk in 64. I thought that was bad. At least I knew it was temporary and that I would survive. This is horrible!

Post Likes
    Anyone watching these triage set ups with blackhawks picking up from all over new orleans and then dropping back down in these makeshift feild hospitals and then mobilizing these people out of the area.

Makes me proud. The military cohesiveness will ramp up over the next 24 hours. You guys are going to witness what makes this country the greatest place on earth.

Post Likes

Exclamation

There are no words strong or descriptive enough to describe what is going on down there. We know it's going to be bad enough getting back to normal in MS and AL, but for New Orleans- that city won't be the same for YEARS. This link is to a sad story but it really describes what New Orleans is in for in the months and years to come...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9150429/3

We all need to pull together as a country, which we already have been doing, and just pray, pray, pray, that everything will work out in the end.

This is something no one expected and it's much much worse than any of our fears. Please keep all those affected in your prayers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in