I'm replacing a 15 year old 1st floor AC/Gas Furnace. I'm looking at Trane and Carrier in the 13 and 14 Seer configurations.

My existing system (a ruud) has an aprilaire bypass style humidifier. I've read recent research which indicates that mold spores and other allergins (I'm highly alergic) will not grow below 50 or 40% relative humidity. If this is the case, why would I want to re-install and/or replace my humidifier in my new HVAC system?

All pros and cons are appreciated!

PS: I'm in Raleigh, NC which is a 60% cooling / 40% heating climate with pretty high humidity in summer, and modestly low humidity in winter.

Thanks!

bradesp

The intent of the humidifier is to get the relative humidity UP to the low 30% range during heating season. Otherwise it will drop far below that.

If anything, you may benefit from using a properly cleaned and maintained flow-through humidifier, in that mucous membranes are much less vulnerable when they aren't excessively dried out. If you're going to have one, though, it needs yearly service.

Most of the bad reputation humidifiers have with respect to mold and fungus is a product of a lack of maintenance, and even then mostly in older designs (typically called drum or wick type) that didn't flush out as well as the flow-through type.

Is aprilAir an example of a "flow through" type humidifier?

as long as it does not have a sump that holds water.

600 model flow through type with autotrac or thermidistat control on carrier or infinity 400 is WICKING TYPE.you do need a drain for 600 model
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Go april aire 700 with O.D. sensor.It's pretty much all I install.I like 'em anyway.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

I use those but on h/p and BIG homes, I just do not like the fan and motor.Am I wrong?I have been running it to guys putting 400 model on h\p's with elctric back-up.DUH!!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

I prefer steam humidifiers on hp's.
    EWC autoflo.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Aprilaire Humidifier

bradesp,

Most models of Aprilaire humidifers are flow-through meaning when they are running, they will have water trickling out of the drainline. The more recent bypass models are 550 and 600. There are also a few bypass models that have a small reservoir - Models 400, 445, 448.

In the heating season, the RH in your home can get too low - which is bad for your home as well as for the occupants. That is why humidification is so important.