I installed a Weather King Heat pump a year ago.It Was tripping the breaker so I checked it out and the Compressor was fried. It has a large burnt area right at the motor. This is the first Scroll I've seen burn out- Has anyone else experienced this and what did you find to be the cause. I ordered the replacement but I want to prevent it from happening again and was wondering if anyone found a similiar problem. I have been installing Rheem and Weatherking for years and this is a first for me.the unit has been operating fine for the first year- However - within the last week or so One of the Gfi breakers in the breaker panel has been tripping and I am suspicious that it is related- not that the breaker is connected to the system in any way- but that the compressor was going bad and caused a ground fault somehow. It is just awfully coincidental.Any opinions would be appreciated.

when you say burnt at the motor do you mean burnt off terminal?? could have just been a loose connection that did it in. have only seen 3 bad scrolls since they came out all where mechanical failures.

Not a burnt terminal- a large burnt spot on the outer casing of the compressor- it melted the metal tag.

nope never saw that before.

It figures if it's stupid and inexplainable, it would happen to me, Not that I have a monopoly on mech. problems, but It is disheartening since I use Rheem so much- thanks for the response! at least it had a 5 yr. warranty.

I have cut a few compressors open just for the yeck of it and found that the motors look like they are all the same. Weather it is copeland or bristol. Today the power grid is so far overloaded that you can almost expect failures of some sort. Our power company cut residential power 7 full volts, and yes I did check. We all know that when voltage decreases, amp draw increases which means more heat on the windings.

Another thing is when the suction gas comes back, it cools the motor, if your gas coming back is not cool enough, you will eventually burn the motor up over time. This usually takes years though.

On a scroll, if your bearings wear out, the armature can actually rub the fields, which will cause them to short out. Again this usually takes years not months. This is basically all I can think of from my readings and what I have seen when I cut it apart.

problem found

I removed the comp. this morning. I removed the old wiring and in the process discovered that a wire going from the comp. to the capacitor had been resting on the ref. line and burnt through the insulation. I am pretty sure that is the reason for the burnout and GFI tripping all of the time also. The GFI stays on now that I've taken everything apart. Chalk it up to some fellow in the factory not paying attention to the wiring position when installing it. The line voltage wire was nearly burnt through as well. Just thought this info might help someone. As for me, My faith in the scroll has been restored!

So the compressor wasnt really bad?

As Robo always says, the installer is the final inspector.

At least all is back up and running.

Is the GFI code where you're at? I never put an A/C on a GFI.It doesn't take much to trip them...
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

He said the gfci isn't wired to the system in any way, but was suspicious that it was tripping also.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Yes, the compressor was bad. as I said in my initial post, the side of the comp. was burnt and melted. Caused by the shorted wire. I believe the Gfi tripping was related- though I am not a professional electrician so I couldn't explain exactly how. The Gfi was just a breaker in the box feeding some outlets. I think it was just reacting to the groundout at the condenser somehow. yes, we are the final inspectors, now I will scrutinize the units I install more closely for wires touching ref. lines inside the condenser!

[Edited by brentplumb on 09-01-2005 at 06:55 AM]

Was reading the problem found reply. My mistake, after re-reading original post see where it's not connected.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Its possible your main ground in the home is not very good, it may have induced current from the machine to ground ausing your GFI to trip.

The compressor was meleted? I'd like to see that pic, maybe the lable was melted or brown. I'd be more concerened about the condition of the windings which usually will not be runied by an upstream grounding. Were the windings shorted together or to ground (with out wires connected).