Carrier Ac Expansion valve problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier Ac Expansion valve problem

Got a dumb question, I have a 5 year old carrier ac unit and it went down yesterday. I called a tech and he said it is a bad expansion valve? He also quoted me about No pricing in the open forums to fix it. Does that seem a little high?

Edited by Admin
    Last edited by Dad; 05-28-2011 at 02:33 PM.

find another company.
    work to live not live to work.

No pricing here. But as local553 suggested, get another estimate.
    Local 449?

Quote Originally Posted by local553 View Post
    find another company.

Why?

Is it not a bad TXV?

Was it the price to repair it?

Are you just mad because the OP did not call you first?

Or maybe because ... that's all just because ...

To the OP
    Pricing is not allowed here, we have no real idea if that is a good price or not or if the expansion valve is the problem. I will say that if the guy did nothing to cause you to suspect him of ripping you off (other then the price in your mind being to much) then stick with him. If you want to call others then do so, it's really that easy. Good luck.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

It depends on the company. Some companies have higher rates, but warranty their parts and labor longer, and generally provide outstanding customer service. Other companies will have lower rates, but usually don't warranty their parts and labor very long. Usually, your gonna get what your pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    Why?

Is it not a bad TXV?

Was it the price to repair it?

Are you just mad because the OP did not call you first?

Or maybe because ... that's all just because ...

To the OP
    Pricing is not allowed here, we have no real idea if that is a good price or not or if the expansion valve is the problem. I will say that if the guy did nothing to cause you to suspect him of ripping you off (other then the price in your mind being to much) then stick with him. If you want to call others then do so, it's really that easy. Good luck.

Well bro i dont need side jobs had enough of that in my days. sounds like the guy is getting his chain yank to me

VMC if u think that price is not bad for resi txv u must be one them guys.

VMC if u think that price is not bad for resi txv u must be one them guys.

Where did he say it was residential?

It could be on a very tough roof, or there could be other problems with the system as well.

This guys system could be on the tenth floor of a condo, and they have a security system that would rival Fort Knox.

Maybe the price included the first call, so two trips to the job and material ... seems not out of reason.

It could be that the price sucks, if so the OP can get other prices.

You condemned a guy in the trade with virtually no information, I would not have done that. Oh, by the way I do commercial work ... once in a while I'll do a residential job.

I treat people fairly and give the benefit of a doubt most always.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

vmc if u read the guys post he ask if it was high all i said call another company. Your the one that came at me with your first post. To be honest here i could care less if he pays 10,000 for txv.I gave my opinon.As far as u doing comm work well,ok.

Vmc1161, you were out of line on this.
    Local 449?

Quote Originally Posted by targetman View Post
    Vmc1161, you were out of line on this.
    Really ... well maybe you will give someone an estimate and they will come here. When they ask if the price to fix whatever is to high and local553 tells them to find another company maybe you will think differently. He called another hvac guy a rip off without asking anything about the job. Maybe the guy is a rip off, maybe not, to condemn another tradesmen like that is out of line. Here's an idea, do a poll and see what others here think.

Oh, he also called me a rip off kind of guy ... He throws out insults and put downs with great ease. I asked some simple questions and got no reply to them, hopefully the OP will return with more information.

Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    Really ... well maybe you will give someone an estimate and they will come here. When they ask if the price to fix whatever is to high and local553 tells them to find another company maybe you will think differently. He called another hvac guy a rip off without asking anything about the job. Maybe the guy is a rip off, maybe not, to condemn another tradesmen like that is out of line. Here's an idea, do a poll and see what others here think.

Oh, he also called me a rip off kind of guy ... He throws out insults and put downs with great ease. I asked some simple questions and got no reply to them, hopefully the OP will return with more information.

well I so glad u have an open heart but i got news bud there are rip offs in our trade so get over it.I been in this biz a long time and seen some bull sh!!.And no i dont know what the guys got but if he goes with only one bid then thats his problem.

well I so glad u have an open heart but i got news bud there are rip offs in our trade so get over it.I been in this biz a long time and seen some bull sh!!.And no i dont know what the guys got but if he goes with only one bid then thats his problem.
    Then you should have advised the OP to get other quotes. You should have asked for more information. Or if the guy got a written or verbal quote, what was included or stated.

Would you want someone calling you a rip off without an ounce of evidence?

What I have been saying all along is be fair. If with more information it appears the OP is getting ripped off then fine say so. I see nothing that indicates he was being ripped off.

I do not know what the service rate is where the OP is from, around here it would not take long to get to the amount he was quoted … labor (twice maybe ) travel (twice maybe) plus material, recovery, evacuation, testing plus possibly other repairs.

I do not make snap judgments of others, it seems you view that as a flaw … well it’s a flaw I’m OK with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast