Guy who lives around the corner from me asked me for some advise. I didn't know the answer, but told him I'd try and find out. In his house he has 2 7&3/4 x 31&1/2 R/A grills and 1 7&3/4 x 13&1/2 R/A air grill. Is it hard to find filter grills for this application? It's understood that he's going to have open up the walls to accomadate a slighty larger grill then he has. Can you get a R/A fil. grill say like 10 x 15 or 16, or something like 10 or 12 x 32 or 34?

how about doing away with odd size filter grill and putting a descent filter at air handler or furnace??

Id just buy the filter by the case. Their not much more!

Two posts, and neither one addressed the question. 527 ed, he has that now, and doesn't want it. He wants filter grills. I thought it was a simple question. We all know they come in common sizes. I was just wondering if you could easily get " uncommon " sizes.

Question Media Options

Originally posted by jack david
    Two posts, and neither one addressed the question. 527 ed, he has that now, and doesn't want it. He wants filter grills. I thought it was a simple question. We all know they come in common sizes. I was just wondering if you could easily get " uncommon " sizes.
    Do you wish to make ( cut) your own?
    http://www.airguard.com/automatic-roll.html

Investigate other options at website or with repr.
    http://www.airguard.com/sections.htm

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Originally posted by jack david
    Guy who lives around the corner from me asked me for some advise. I didn't know the answer, but told him I'd try and find out. In his house he has 2 7&3/4 x 31&1/2 R/A grills and 1 7&3/4 x 13&1/2 R/A air grill. Is it hard to find filter grills for this application? It's understood that he's going to have open up the walls to accomadate a slighty larger grill then he has. Can you get a R/A fil. grill say like 10 x 15 or 16, or something like 10 or 12 x 32 or 34?
    He has two 6x30 and one 6x12 now and is most likely short on having enough returns. He needs to call a pro and find out how many cfm he needes to move and if there are enough returns. Filter grills are available for all common filter sizes and can be ordered for any size but you can't just pick a size without knowing how much air you need to move through them. Why would he want to change 3 filter instead of one at the unit?

HO is measuring the grill size by outside dimentions. The real size (ordering size) is the whole dimentions. Like 6x12 or 14x20. They are normal size grills, just abnormal #'s given.

He is an old man and can't get in an out of the crawl space. He wants filter grills. I also realize it's not enough return, the decision was made to add a 30 x 14 filter grill using 12 inch flex. That part wasn't in question, so it wasn't mentioned. He wants filter grills.

tell him that it could be harmful to his system to change.
    that it will decrease the preformance of his system.
    surly someone can rework the return to have the filter at a more convient place.
    suggest that the return grill be changed out to accomodate a 4" tk filter -- then maybe his friends could change it each fall & spring?