Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

best way to repair 1/8 cap tube?

i have got a leak coming from a cap tube, should i just replace the whole section or repair it? never had to do one before, thanks for any help!!

Quote Originally Posted by 10phaseadapter View Post
    i have got a leak coming from a cap tube, should i just replace the whole section or repair it? never had to do one before, thanks for any help!!
    Is it a pin hole or a big rub through ?

I think I would try Stay Brite on it. What do you have to loose. If it does not work, you get to find out how to change a cap tube.

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Is it a pin hole or a big rub through ?
    rub through u must deal with this all the time eh? thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by trouble time View Post
    I think I would try Stay Brite on it. What do you have to loose. If it does not work, you get to find out how to change a cap tube.
    You will not need much heat. Clean area good first.

If it is actually a cap tube, as in part of a metering device, replace the entire assembly.

If it is a distribution tube, do not try to fill in the hole, you will just block it up.

If it is not already broken apart, gently bend it back and forth to break it apart. Then slide about a 3" piece of 1/4" tubing over the two ends evenly, crimp down on the ends of the 1/4" tubing without crushing the distribution tube and braze.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

iv'e done the same as roboteq,and as vtp99 said "you will not need much heat". i'll use my map gas torch but with silfoss.

Yup the 1/4 inch thing works. I have done it on a cap tube metering device as well with success - you aren't reducing the length of the tube so you still get the required pressure drop across it - even with the "gap" you just installed. Just make sure you get a good clean cut on the cap tube and don't pinch the ends shut.

Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    Yup the 1/4 inch thing works. I have done it on a cap tube metering device as well with success - you aren't reducing the length of the tube so you still get the required pressure drop across it - even with the "gap" you just installed. Just make sure you get a good clean cut on the cap tube and don't pinch the ends shut.
    I was always afraid of having a different pressure in the repaired cap tube, but you are correct, once it fills with liquid it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    If it is actually a cap tube, as in part of a metering device, replace the entire assembly.

If it is a distribution tube, do not try to fill in the hole, you will just block it up.

If it is not already broken apart, gently bend it back and forth to break it apart. Then slide about a 3" piece of 1/4" tubing over the two ends evenly, crimp down on the ends of the 1/4" tubing without crushing the distribution tube and braze.
    X-2
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    And I thought it was cobby to repair a cap tube that way when I did it?

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    And I thought it was cobby to repair a cap tube that way when I did it?
    Innovation and thinking outside of the box to get er done is not cobby or hack, unlike what some "oh so superior" techs will try to tell us.

Yea, I've done that too. But sometimes it screws up the system pressures. If you do this type of repair make sure its outside the box, if its inside it messes with the restriction because of that "pocket" of low pressure. JMO. Either that or it collects oil? I just know it works better outside the box. Whenever possible I just change the cap tube. Less call back potential...
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast