Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question????

question????

I am an HVAC tech want to open a bussines as independent contractor in NC . Any rule which limitation the technician?

Ask your state contractor's board

Most every state, county, and sometime city has its own set of rules for contracting (doing business for profit). Check with your state contractor’s board for proper requirements. There’s usually a heavy fine for contracting without a license. Angry customers and other contractors will feed you to the wolves. Remember federal/state taxes and yearly business/licensing fees. Running a legal business is not cheap, running an illegal one can break the bank. Please do not take my word as final fact. Seek sound advice, ask your state contractor’s board. Hope this helped.

question???

thanks

Check with your states licsencing and regulations department. Here in TX you need to take an exam but only after you can prove 3 years hands on experience in the field....

Link to NC Board;
    http://www.nclicensing.org/

Quote Originally Posted by APEX View Post
    I am an HVAC tech want to open a bussines as independent contractor in NC . Any rule which limitation the technician?
    There should be plenty of other guys from NC along shortly to reply to your question, but after reading your initial post I don't think you're quite ready to go out on your own. If you don't know the rules and regulations of the state licensing board, you're obviously not licensed in this state.

if you intend to sell & install equipment_ you'll need a contractors license,_ depending on just what you sell/install will determine the license you need

a business license

insurance

bond

to just run service is a gray area,_ need to check with you LAHJ

and just what does this question have to do with the convention?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

ammonia

Hi,
    Since ammonia is an refrigerant it will convert into low temperature liquid and vapour if its throttled in high pressure liquid form.But what will happen if high pressure (13 ksc) Pure ammonia vapour @45 degC temp is getting throttled.

NC is strange. At one point, you did not need a license to install AC, as long as you ran separate duct work from the heating.

Basic thing is if you are installing anything, you have to have a license, both business and contractors.

Service requires a business license.

HVAC is different than Refrigeration.
    IIRC, the only thing you can do to a hard-wired reefer unit without a Refrigeration license is clean the coils, or change an evap fan motor(could be wrong on this one, been a while since I looked).

There are three things that are indispensable though.
    A thorough understanding of the codes, a thorough understanding of the stuff you are fixing, and an awareness of your own limitations and abilities.
    Miss any of those three and you are in trouble.

Confused

if you do go in buisness know your true costs. license costs per year!
    liability insurance costs per year!
    truck insurance, the irs figures about 56 cents per mile.also how much is your time worth giving out FREEE estimamtes!
    how are you going to get customers? advertizing costs?
    what about help? what about workers comp costs? most new guys in buisness under cut the other guy, i.e are working for zippo!
    a good formula is this. say you can make 45,000$ per year working for someone. if you also add in vacations,social security costs,workers comp costs,uniforms,paid traveling time i.e. your paid 8 hours but are only on a job 5 1/2 hours,cell phone, so forth your real cost to a co. might be $60,000 per year!
    so you take the 60,000$ and add your overhead for starting a new co. we'll say 10,000$ for arguments sake! then ask your self will i make 70,000$ in my first year of buisness? probably not! do you think you'll make 70.000$ in the next 5 years? good luck,you'll need it!

Damn, pretty harsh. But then again so is running a company, it takes way more than knowing how to do the work. It takes a certain kind of person to do it successfully, typically techs turned owners fizzle within a few years and collectively take a big bite out of market share, which is probably why you're getting some flack. Just don't under bid everyone and drag the value of our work down like many newcomers do. Make sure you have your marketing in order, getting sales calls is probably one of the biggest hurdles to jump, that and the babysitting.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

How do you intend on getting your phone to ring for those service calls and estimates? Check the prices on advertising before you make your decision. Word of mouth is great, but takes years to get going. You will need a mechanical contractors license, and an electrical license will be very helpful too. You will need to do load calcs to be in compliance with the law as well. Good Luck. Oh, and one more thing, dont go around undercutting everyone else, it hurts our industry. There is a reasonable dollar amount you should be getting for every installation. I have seen some tards doing complete installs here in NC for $xxx.00 dollars. Yes, in the triple digits. Thats pathetic. What type of equipment are you gonna sell? Does it start with a G?

Quote Originally Posted by simplyrollin View Post
    How do you intend on getting your phone to ring for those service calls and estimates? Check the prices on advertising before you make your decision. Word of mouth is great, but takes years to get going. You will need a mechanical contractors license, and an electrical license will be very helpful too. You will need to do load calcs to be in compliance with the law as well. Good Luck. Oh, and one more thing, dont go around undercutting everyone else, it hurts our industry. There is a reasonable dollar amount you should be getting for every installation. I have seen some tards doing complete installs here in NC for $xxx.00 dollars. Yes, in the triple digits. Thats pathetic. What type of equipment are you gonna sell? Does it start with a G?
    Goodmans are great, I have a ton of trouble free Amana systems out there pumping away, they just get a bad name from dips who charge single digit prices for a furnace.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast