I have a Jordon Worktop 2 Door Cooler that came into my possession for nearly nothing. Build quality is pretty good, it has the thickest insulation I have seen.
I'm trying to determine if this unit is worth saving.
Upon inspection I find:
1. Nearly no refrigerant (R134a). Upon attaching the gauges, I got a weak hiss, and the needles didn't twitch. 0 psig.
2. No acid smell as far as I could tell.
3. The aluminum evaporator has a bunch of pinholes, widely distributed.
4. The condensor and compressor look nearly new under visual inspection.
5. Before figuring out that it wouldn't hold temperature, I ran it for 30 mins or so, the compressor was very quiet. This may be nothing. It's a techumseh.
So, I'd like to determine the condition of the rest of the system.
Here's what I figure I can do:
a. Cut out the evaporator, braze the pipes closed and pressure test the system without the evaporator.
b. Check the ohms on the compressor windings (no meggar )
Is there anything else you guys would suggest?
Is there anything I can assume from a rotten aluminum evaporator? This pinholes looked like they rotted from the inside outward.
How does one test the oil for acid on small appliances? Do I have to cut the compressor out of the circuit and pour it out? Can I force it out with nitrogen?
Even thought Jordon is out of business, I can get a replacement evaporator, same as the old one.