Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi,
    Just moved down to the philly area, and am inquiring about a new HVAC system for my dad's place.
    two story townhouse,
    gas heat, a/c/
    presently there is a York system, about 18 years old. I wonder what the efficiency rating would be?
    Also is it cost effective for me to get the more efficient 96% rather than the 80%. I plan to get the variable speed fan. I am looking at the Carrier systems.....any input is appreciated.
    Thanks......please ask for any more necessary info.
    George

In philly a 96% will save you money.
    Has the York given your dad alot of trouble, that your thinking of going with Carrier.

If you wait awhile, York will becoming out with their modulating furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It is probably 60-70% sefficient.Post the model numbers,and think seriously about doing a heat loss calculation to know the exact size furnace you need.

Oversizing is bad news.

We serve Philly area alot time the venting is an issue,because of windows and doors.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

for heatpump guru et al

hi,
    my dad uses your co. for his servicing..........I think the big problem at his townhouse is return ducts......they (only a couple of them in the house) actually run through the studs, and are not hard ducted...........I know that it'll make a diff. additional ducting.
    Furnace model number is:York P3UGD12NO8001B
    Input 80,000BTU
    like to hear more feedback.....thanks
    George

Almost all of the homes in our area use stud bays for returns,they design the homes first and then try to have us figure out how to run ductwork.

so, I assume it is possible to run hard ducts using the closets as run through areas, plus the basement is unfinished.....Do the hard duct returns make a big difference.
    I am also a big believer is sealing all joints. Up in Canada I sealed the joints with special caulk, and then overlapped with aluminum foil tape.
    Thaks
    George

homeowners 2 cents

I live in SE MI (similar climate to philly) and I had a 19 year old furnace replaced last fall. with a 95 % dual stage variable speed furnace. I did save on fuel cost using about 15 - 20% less fuel per month, in addition to the lower electrical usage (about 12%). But more importantly my house has never been more comfortable. The furnace has very long cycles on the low stage, as a result my house NEV.ER felt cold. Highly recommended....in my opinion worth the extra $$

Alot of times it is hard to come from basement up and hit the rooms with HOME RUNS because closets do not line up and we do not like the look of a bunch of boxed in ductwork in the middle of a family room or kitchen area.But that's just me, I have done it because I was asked to do it. Sometimes we run a central return and tie it it right to the main trunk. I have found that the main problem is that the thermostat is on the lower level and the roof and attic are upstairs and MR THERMOSTAT in the dining room or living room only knows the tempeture of the wall in which it hangs. Maybe zoned system?I want the VOLLEY!!!

Just something to chew on many folks simply dont consider but you need to look at the A/C efficiency losses when matched with a 90+ versus an 80+. That secondary HX requires alot more fan in both the heating and cooling mode. In philly, your on the cusp. Any further south, and one would really need to review the specs to see if its worth it.

the thermostat is actually on a kitchen wall above the big square return grill. It is an original Honeywell thermostat that doesn't read too well......
    George

Try the TOILET PAPER test,take a peice and hold it againist the returns.If they pull they are sealed,that does not mean much more than that.Sized or location a factor.

for "guru"

thanks.....you know my area well. See your trucks around here frequently.......neighbor friend just had a new system put in by you guys.......will contact you when ready.....just curious if you have an opinion: how much extra heat does the stove's pilot light running continuously create. I see the new stoves have auto pilot lights?
    Thanks
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast