Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone Laws

Talking

Just receieved a ticket for talking on cell phone from one of NYC Finnest. $40. 00 for ticket & $50. 00 surcharge.

The best is, as I am turning the block to go to job I almost have a head on, because driver of other vehicle is talking on his cell phone.

Interesting since the other vehicle is a NYC Finnest Squad car. Guess it's alright for them to break the law.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Originally posted by icehouse
    Just receieved a ticket for talking on cell phone from one of NYC Finnest. $40. 00 for ticket & $50. 00 surcharge.

The best is, as I am turning the block to go to job I almost have a head on, because driver of other vehicle is talking on his cell phone.

Interesting since the other vehicle is a NYC Finnest Squad car. Guess it's alright for them to break the law.
    They are not breaking the law. A number of laws that apply to us have exceptions built into them for emergency vehicles. They do not have to wear seat belts in squad cars either. The idea is that they need to be able to get out of their cars fast without having to fiddle with the belt.

Same for their communication. Emergency vehicles have a need to be in contact with one another and their base. Not the same as some citizen having a conversation about what is for dinner.

Originally posted by NormChris

Same for their communication. Emergency vehicles have a need to be in contact with one another and their base. Not the same as some citizen having a conversation about what is for dinner.

and how do you know he wasn't talking to his wife about dinner?

or his girlfriend?

Originally posted by billva
    Originally posted by NormChris

and how do you know he wasn't talking to his wife about dinner?

or his girlfriend?

I don't know that and neither do you know that the officer was either. The possibility of abuse by the officer does not change the need for the exception in the law for emergency vehicles.

every "COPS" show i've seen, they use a cb type radio system so others in the field know what is going on as well.

i've never seen thye cell phone method.

every "COPS" show i've seen, they use a cb type radio system so others in the field know what is going on as well.

i've never seen thye cell phone method.

bill, while you were watching "COPS", I was one. We used both depending upon the circumstances and the nature of the information transmitted.

norm, i guess it would depend on your position, such as street patrol, detective, etc...

what was your capacity?

norm, i guess it would depend on your position, such as street patrol, detective, etc...

what was your capacity?

Reserve officer in a marked squad car. Graduated from the California police academy at the same community college I was teaching HVAC at on a fulltime basis. Attended the academy for the fun of it and fun it was!

did they have cell phones at that time?

did they have cell phones at that time?
    1990s, of course.

Anyway, I am in favor of banning the use of cell phones for the driver of a vehicle. Perhaps it would be ok if the driver does not have to hold the phone to use it.

well, it seems as though we had two knuckleheads on cell phones.

except one was right, and issued a ticket. (revenue enhancer)to the other, who was working and already paying taxes as he drove the streets of nyc.

it just sounds like cops in general (revenue enhancers),
    every arrest and court date is money in the bank for cities/towns/provinces.

well, it seems as though we had two knuckleheads on cell phones.

except one was right, and issued a ticket. (revenue enhancer)to the other, who was working and already paying taxes as he drove the streets of nyc.

it just sounds like cops in general (revenue enhancers),
    every arrest and court date is money in the bank for cities/towns/provinces.

bill, don't confuse the officers who enforce the law with those who make the law. Furthermore, most officers let people off with warnings when they could have issued a ticket.

If you have a problem with a particular law don't blame the cop who may also have a problem with the same law just as you do.

Shoot, back in the 90's cops couldn't use cell phone's while driving. It took both hands to hold that "little" phone up to thier ear.

*edit*
    Many times it is the cops fault for a law.... I mean think how many times tech's have been blamed for equipment failure lol.

[Edited by amickracing on 08-28-2005 at 07:06 PM]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast