Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    these are the people causing insurance rates to skyrocket, in order:

1.lawyers (obviously)

2. fat, out of shape, sick, and old people.

Originally posted by billva
    these are the people causing insurance rates to skyrocket, in order:

1.lawyers (obviously)

2. fat, out of shape, sick, and old people.

We agree on that.

Me and My wife were at a gas station the other day. Early when people are gassing up and going to work, grabbing a cup of coffee. Pretty busy station.

SO I am filling up and I notice everyone just going in and out of the place were not just a little pudgy but fat.

So I alerted her to it. And we sat there for about 10 minutes and just watched. It was a "wow" moment. 95% of the people we watched were not just a few pounds heavy but fat. I bet you we watched over 50 people come in and go from that gas station in the time we were there. Fat as in you can tell there Fat. So the same day we needed to go to this School thing for the kids. And all the kids are fat too. I mean fat.

Take a moment once when your out to eat or just running errands. It was surprizing to me. I never usually notice stuff like this, but now a days it's getting obvious.

I am not even close to supporting the legislation, since I am a Proud Right Wing evangelist, an in shape right winger at that, who loves greasy grimy whoppers and big macs. Of course in Moderation.

But just needed to point out this as I was floored by it.

i've decided to change the term "fat" to "chronic overeater", so i don't offend any of the fatties.

I saw on the news the other day about which state you live in may make a difference in how fat you are.
    Michigan topped the list.
    Dow, I think you are the exception to the rule.
    Other states that were high on the list were Mississippi and Tennesee.
    One of the thinner states was Colorado.

Originally posted by oil lp man
    The cost of health insurance is absurd. One reason is lawyers and malpractice suits. Another is people are getting fatter and sicker from the poison they are eating.
    2 burgers for 2 bucks. What a good deal?
    Watch the movie/documentary "Super Size Me". I did and I'll never eat that sh_t again.
    I lost 30 pound in about 3 months. I feel 10 years younger.
    I got 10 more pounds to lose. I've started lifting weights again.
    My blood pressure dropped 10 points to 110/70 and pulse is a steady 65 bpm.
    Rock on dudes.

yeh but I doubt that warning labels had anything to do with it

Originally posted by pjs
    The cost of health insurance is absurd. One reason is lawyers and malpractice suits. Another is people are getting fatter and sicker from the poison they are eating.
    2 burgers for 2 bucks. What a good deal?
    Watch the movie/documentary "Super Size Me". I did and I'll never eat that sh_t again.
    I lost 30 pound in about 3 months. I feel 10 years younger.
    I got 10 more pounds to lose. I've started lifting weights again.
    My blood pressure dropped 10 points to 110/70 and pulse is a steady 65 bpm.
    Rock on dudes.

yeh but I doubt that warning labels had anything to do with it
    Fattening foods are very addictive. Ask any doctor.
    If there was a warning label on the food at least I would have stopped sooner and thought about what I am eating.
    The documentary I was talking about is like a warning.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oil lp man
    [B][QUOTE]Originally posted by pjs
    [B]

Fattening foods are very addictive. Ask any doctor.
    If there was a warning label on the food at least I would have stopped sooner and thought about what I am eating.
    The documentary I was talking about is like a warning.
    if there was a warning label on the food, you would eat that too.

a label isn't going to stop you from eating. people still smoke and we have had warnings on cig packs since 1964?

[Edited by billva on 08-28-2005 at 05:14 PM]

Yeah right.
    but you do have a point about the cigarettes. Warning labels may not be the answer all.
    I smoked for a number of years and I was born in 1964.

We need warning labels on politicians.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

I was watching a show on one of the news channels a few weeks back about this epidemic in the US. It went on for two hours and I thought it was interesting. I had no idea that being just twenty pounds over weight can significantly increase your chances for a ton of health problems as you get older. Now, say your twenty or more punds over, and also smoke, your just asking to die, then add heavy drinking on to that, well thats almost suicide.

On a side not. I was HEAVY a drinker, I still drink but significantly less, I also smoked but not much, but still did, plus I ate bad, stopped working out, and was getting a little pudgy. 25 pounds over my ideal BMI. This over a 5 year period. I was diagnosed with diabetes about 4 months ago. I am 32. And let me tell you, it was effing me up, mood swings, not even thinking straight. So I said, stop the mother effing train. I got to get moving and grooving.

I quit drinking besides friday nights and only alloweed 3 beers, every once in awhile I get a little toasted, got on the treadmill every day now since the day I walked out of the doctors office. Automatically the following day started eating fruiit and veggies. I was a little freaked out that at 32 I was diagnosed with this. I was more freaked at the fact I was messed up. Always tired, pissed off all the time, seemed like I was constantly stressed. Plus with eating like crap and drinking, add all that in there.

I went for the latest check up this last Monday and I am kicking but. Got my body under control. They actually backed off my meds the last time. This time I stopped taking them. Beleive that?

I notice even now I have much more stamina doing my work and then going home and not just plopping down in the recliner, I am actually looking for stuff to do, like clean tghe garage, crap like that. Went from a 36" waist to a 33". I sleep a ton better.

So what is the message here guys?

The way I see it is that:

I don't need legislation to protect me from myself or fast food.

There are reasons other that overeating for people being overweight.

Separate the smoking vs. eating idea, nobody ever died from second-hand Big Macs.

The idea behind insurance is that a pool of folks share the cost of caring for everyone in the group... Without the old, sick, diseased people the young fit ones have it easy... till they get old, sick or diseased... The group, as a whole, have a bill to pay... don't blame the "expensive" part of the group until you've walked in their shoes.

Congrats Dow.
    I don't and never did have diabetes and none of my family either thank God. But that is enough to scare you into a healthy diet.
    Wow 33 inch waist?
    I haven't had a 33 inch waist in at least 15 years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast