Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Did you say somebody before you added refrigerant hint hint

tomarrow I am going to reclaim and charge it myself from scratch. A clog in the txv or filter would cause a low side vacuum I believe, so I am not leaning toward that, I hope its just an extreme overcharge, hard for me to believe that could be it though. Thank you for all of your reply's, I really appreciate the help, It is frustating not knowing the answer.

If you have been doing this for that long would you not want to try lowering those pressures before you did a full reclaim?

also check the condenser coil

Have you ever seen an overcharge, or any condition cause R22 spike to 500psi on startup? While the lowside not entering a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by cr2banger View Post
    I do not know everything there is to know..for sure. That is why I posted. The only information I gathered was running pressures. The superheat was virtually noexistant. I had 120psi suction. So it was a superheat of 15-20 in a very small sample space. The suction line never got cold to the touch.Once the compressor was making a terrible sound I pulled the disconect, with respect to the 350-500 psi high side pressures I saw. Seemed logical at the time. As I said, I have never in my 15 years in the field seen R22 pressures that high, It is not common. Maybe some one else has.
    I've seen R22 pressures like this happen many times.
    Think about the symptoms you've described to us, and you'll have your answer. It's really right in front of you. Think grasshopper.

what? I have seen a Jr tech add r22 to a unit with a frozen coil then checked charge after coil thawed and had same pressures you stated in your post replaced bad indoor fan motor and removed about 5lbs refrigerant overcharge

I have seen high pressure with plugged condeser. This is different. The compressor made a "whining" noise, then ran for about 10 seconds, and made then noise again. As it made the noise my guage would spike. Not good. Running around 400 psi with spikes as high as 500psi.

I am not an expert. Trying to get there some day however. I have never seen an overcharge of that capacity. I have myself overcharged slightly, but have never seen the outcome of a 5lb overcharge. Perhaps that is what I am dealing with, with that said I hope the compressor is not shot.

Email me and I will tell you what I would do

You just ain't gettin' it,are ya? Have fun.

Some types of gases just won't condense in a refrigeration system.

I sent an email. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast