Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help with R22 central air

I went to help a friend today with a 2.5 ton Heir condenser. He tried to charge it, but had problems. I put my guages on it,turned it on and the High side spiked to 500 psi! It dropped alittle but still stayed above 350 psi while running. The suction side was 120 psi. I shut it down quickly. I have never seen pressures this high on a R22 system, not sure what could cause this. The compressor was also making sort of a "whining" sound..Any suggestions,remedies, would be great.

Sounds like its under charged! NOOOOO just kidding, please call someone that knows what there doing before someone gets hurt or does damage to your system.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Why was the original condenser replaced. Was it replaced?

Get pro membership to get answers.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

What he charge it with r410A EZ answer go pro

It is original, about 10 years old. I was going to reclaim tomarrow and charge it from scratch. I have never seen pressures that high in a R22 system, I was wondering if anyone else had.

Dude if you don't know what is wrong right now with the info you gave us very simple you don't know what your doing you should call somebody who does you can hurt yourself or the unit

I had a unit that had been off for more than a day, put my gauges on without it running and both sides read over 400psi. Old R22 unit. Bent my low side manifold. Wasn't over charged. Wasn't even running. Go fig.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Quote Originally Posted by cr2banger View Post
    It is original, about 10 years old. I was going to reclaim tomarrow and charge it from scratch. I have never seen pressures that high in a R22 system, I was wondering if anyone else had.
    Why not try pumping it down before doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    I had a unit that had been off for more than a day, put my gauges on without it running and both sides read over 400psi. Old R22 unit. Bent my low side manifold. Wasn't over charged. Wasn't even running. Go fig.
    Nitro in it

You need a recovery unit and vacuum pump to fix this problem.

I think just a recovery cylinder

I do not know everything there is to know..for sure. That is why I posted. The only information I gathered was running pressures. The superheat was virtually noexistant. I had 120psi suction. So it was a superheat of 15-20 in a very small sample space. The suction line never got cold to the touch.Once the compressor was making a terrible sound I pulled the disconect, with respect to the 350-500 psi high side pressures I saw. Seemed logical at the time. As I said, I have never in my 15 years in the field seen R22 pressures that high, It is not common. Maybe some one else has.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast