Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    If you don't like wearing a seat belt here is a legal way out of it. Move to Georgia and buy a pickup truck. When they past their seat belt law one of the representatives, who drove a pickup, made sure the law did not apply to persons driving pickups unless they were under the age of 18. Is that why you see so many pickups in Gerogia?

[b]Georgia, what a mess.

Some facts from the Governors office

From http://www.gohs.state.ga.us/main.html

Georgia is the only primary seatbelt state that exempts pickup truck drivers and passengers from wearing seat belts. Minnesota exempts farm pickup trucks.

The overall seat belt usage rate for Georgia is consistently decreased by the lower usage rate for pickup trucks.

Over the past three years (1999 2001) Georgia experienced a 20% increase in the number of motor vehicle crash deaths occurring to occupants of light trucks. During this same period, there was a 1% decrease in deaths occurring to occupants of passenger cars.

In 2000, the National Highway Traffic Administration estimated the economic cost in Georgia due to motor vehicle crashes was $7.8-billion.

Deaths occurring in light trucks are disproportionate to their registration level. In 2001, 35.4% of all occupant deaths in Georgia occurred in light trucks while they were only 24% of all registered vehicles.

The percentage of motor vehicle crash deaths occurring to light truck occupants has increased from 31.5% in 1997 to 35.4% in 2001. During this same period, the percentage of deaths occurring topassenger car occupants decreased from 61.5% to 53.9%.

More from the Gov...

But despite all of that...

I love Georgia.

It's my home by birth and by choice.

I guess we just believe in INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBLITY.

Persons over the age of 18 should be allowed to make choices about their own lives and safety. They should be allowed to smoke, drink, join the Armed Forces and fight brutal, murderous regimes in unpopular wars.

Even if their mommies don't like it.

PS - We love our mommies, but when we turn 18 it is time for mommy to cut the apron strings and let us fight the battles we choose. Or we will never become the real men we are supposed to be.

and by the way Nevada..

I don't know if you live in Georgia, but if you do, I will help you pack up and move back to wherever the hell you are from.

Re: More from the Gov...

Originally posted by Freeze Stat
    i notice that (nearly)50% of seat belt users survived and 50% did not.

doesn't that tell you something about seat belt laws?

it is another state tax.

Some things you just shouldn't have to teach. There are a few states left where wearing a helmet while operating a motorcycle isn't a law. I think there are too many laws on the books now and for every new law written, an old outdated law should be removed.

How long will it be before there isn't anything else left to pass a law about. State and federal governments should be required to publish and issue free of charge a book of laws to every citizen. Where does the madness end?

If you're old enough to drive you're old enough to decide whether or not you want to wear a belt or helmet.

I wear my seatbelt when driving my pickup. I wore one while operating both motorcycles I owned. And would have even if both had not been laws.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

If you're old enough to drive you're old enough to decide whether or not you want to wear a belt or helmet.

--------------------------------------------------------

but lets say you are old enough to drive and you choose not to wear a seatbelt ....we get in a wreck and you die ;;and had you been wearing a seatbelt you would not haave died------------------------------------------------------

by you not wearing that belt and dying, I will have to live the rest of MY life with your death...and yes if someone died in an accident that I DID NOT CAUSE I would still be affected by that death

Man! That one in the southeast corner has me scratchin my head!

"Many crash deaths are caused by unknown behavioural and mechanical failures."

I'm dyin to know what an unknown behavioural failure is!!

Originally posted by ct2

--------------------------------------------------------

but lets say you are old enough to drive and you choose not to wear a seatbelt ....we get in a wreck and you die ;;and had you been wearing a seatbelt you would not haave died------------------------------------------------------

by you not wearing that belt and dying, I will have to live the rest of MY life with your death...and yes if someone died in an accident that I DID NOT CAUSE I would still be affected by that death
    the statistics clearly state that you have a 50/50 chance of surviving wheather you are wearing a seatbelt or not.

Originally posted by midhvac
    Man! That one in the southeast corner has me scratchin my head!

"Many crash deaths are caused by unknown behavioural and mechanical failures."

I'm dyin to know what an unknown behavioural failure is!!

I was wondering about that one myself. Maybe it's like a guy swatting at a bee, runs off the road a hits a tree. If he dies on the scene they may never know what happened.

Loopholes?

Nevermind.

[Edited by a\c don on 08-28-2005 at 08:44 PM]
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Tom Murphy

is a d**khead. He was the longest serving house of representitive leaders in the country.

He's the one that got the exemption for pick-up truck drivers. He said it was because the farmers in the state would be inconvienced by having to unbuckle every time they had to open a gate. Actually it was because he drove a pick-up and hated wearing seat belts.

One of the best things that happened to this state was when he got voted out of office.

My personal vehicle is a pick up and I wore a seat belt before it was the law.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast