No AC Hurricane Katrina
    hugodrax Guest
    Wow down in south florida not having AC for 2 days do you really miss it. It was unbearable at 85 degrees and humidity of 83 indoors. Horrid feeling. Finally power at 7:00 PM and I turned the system on, it is now 79.5 (55% humidity) 3 hours later. Big relief. I should be getting back to my old 77degrees/40-45% average indoor humidity in a few hours.

How the heck did people live in florida in the 50's-60's with no AC??

Outage

You have my heartfelt sympathies. When hurricane Alicia tore thru Houston in the early 1980's, I worked the graveyard shift for a couple weeks answering the customer service phone for the light company. People would call in the wee hours of the morning, basically because they felt miserable and could not sleep. And often they had neighbors who had power and they did not yet. We had no info as to when it would be on in specific neighborhoods. All I could do was to sympathize, tell them I knew how it felt and it was *terrible*, and tell them our crews were working around the clock to get their power on, overall.

I suppose in the old days, people had lots of porches with screens to keep the mosquitoes out. Probably slept there to take advantage of what little cool air there was overnight. And I am told that Northerners considered the whole South an unhealthy place to live.

May your outages always be brief -- P.Student

[Edited by perpetual_student on 08-27-2005 at 11:18 PM]

Glad to hear you survived, it is truly amazing what we take for granted these days
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

I went through a month of 86F/85% RH indoors after Ivan
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by hugodrax
    Wow down in south florida not having AC for 2 days do you really miss it. It was unbearable at 85 degrees and humidity of 83 indoors. Horrid feeling. Finally power at 7:00 PM and I turned the system on, it is now 79.5 (55% humidity) 3 hours later. Big relief. I should be getting back to my old 77degrees/40-45% average indoor humidity in a few hours.

How the heck did people live in florida in the 50's-60's with no AC??
    Born in Florida ,1949,didn't know there was another way!!!!!LOL

During the hurricanes last year I bought a generator which I use to power my whole house. I just got a 1ton mini split for my 15x24 den. If we lose power again we have at least on room that will be cool !

Hugo

Back in the 50's & 60's, nothing but southerners in FL, People grouped together undr an ice fan when it was real hot.
    Now, the yanks have taken over, not so friendly any more.
    Everyone has to fiend for themselves.

Lol,
    Richard

Be safe

>>During the hurricanes last year I bought a generator which I use to power my whole house.

CDIJeff, I do hope you will keep in mind the basics of keeping your power isolated to your house and not spread to the local grid from your generator. I know the utility workers follow certain different rules when they know a generator is running. If they are unaware then there is a risk of electrocution from touching a line which has been energized from your generator. We don't want any linemen to die unnecessarily, it's enough of a tough and dangerous job in the first place, and many of them post-hurricane are invited workers from other regions.

Besides that, it sounds all good. Congratulations on thinking ahead and being prepared.

Best wishes -- P.Student

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning!

I just got a google alert this morning on how people have been using generators indoors to provide themselves with temporary power during this hurricane.

Needless to say there have been 2 fatalities & several other reported CO illness.

We had the same thing happen here about 2 years ago during a massive ice storm,unfortunately lives were lost here also.

I hope this hurricane passes quickly & people really consider their actions before they unintentionally put the lives of their loved ones at risk.

Good luck to all who are expieriencing this hurricane & it's effects.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Two people died from generator exhaust CO here david, was a stupid way to die. An electrician and his wife.

Originally posted by Carnak
    Two people died from generator exhaust CO here david, was a stupid way to die. An electrician and his wife.
    The guy who died in Florida was a former construction worker Carnak.

It also took the life of his girlfriend.

Unfortunately people do not always see the consequences of the obvious in situations like this.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.