Heating illiterate and I need help desperately

Hi. I live in new york, have a small two family home. I currently have oil heat. Due to the cost of oil, I want to convert to gas, I already use gas to cook with and for my dryer. Had two plumbers come in and I am confused, seems like they were in such a hurry that they didn't answer all my questions. What I need to know is: Can I have one boiler and two thermostats, one therm for the first floor and one for the second floor so that I will have one gas bill?
    I am using the house for my family and my funds are low so that seems like the cheapest thing to do. I have been told that in the event I do rent, I can always lock the thermostat, is that true? Lastly, the house was built in 1925 so it's old and no one can tell me basically percentage wise how much money I will be saving by switching from oil to gas. I don't want to invest all that money to save a small amount. I am paying through the nose now on the budget plan. Thanks.

It is possible to have 2 thermostats, one for each floor. Piping would have to be redone though, which may not be possible to seperate the two zones.

Without seeing your oil/gas prices, I couldn't tell you if you'd save money. I would imagine you would. I could imagine you'd save alot.

who are you calling "plumbers"? Are they actually guys that do plumbing? You need to call a heating and cooling company that is familure with boilers.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Is your existing unit a oil fired boiler if so is it Steam or hot water

JW777 First thing first. Are we talking steam or hot water base board. That would make a huge difference in cost as far as zoning. It is possible yes.
    There is a few thing that must be done prior to even thinking about. To be able to do a proposal for something like this would cost you money. I have to find out where the first unit is, then next one, Etc... Then you have to run lines from the boiler to where it is going to be split and run a return and supply. I would never be able to give you an estimate on this without rolling up my sleeve and actually working on the system. you CAN NOT T into the system. Then let not forget the zone valves, circulators, thermostat and the electricians. Good luck... I think 95% Burdaras gas boiler and your will be golden.

It is hot water some base board and some radiators

Best thing to do is hire a professional contrator to assist you in your project. Here is the catch to get someone good you are going to have to spend some money for them to do the research on your house. I hope you understand this. I can recommend someone for you.

If your real tight on money just get a outdoor reset. if you can pick off the loops you can most likely zone it. If you definitely need a new boiler then also get a outdoor reset for it.