Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by DocHVAC
    Who, there must be a argument happening two Canucks on here at one time.
    Yeah, you insulted James and didnt even know it

There's no Hockey on and it's too warm to build a Tee Pee

Swamp I'm talking about myself and Carnack, and what is insulting about being a Canuck, you should be so lucky, We only have to put up with Bush in a political sense and even thats bad enough.

Doc, go back and read this thread carefully, and check Nevada's and James' profile again

Doc

Swamp's a good guy.

As for Nevada, first impressions mean a lot, he still has not recovered from his telemarketting angle, where he made minor charitable donations to get around the law meant to protect people from being pestered.

As for Jamie 352835, she kind of grows on you after a while, and has some good one liners if you do not get too involved in US politics.

It is a losing cause to argue politics in here especially if you are not American.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Originally posted by James 3528
    There's no Hockey on and it's too warm to build a Tee Pee
    Lol, those tee pee tents can take a little more heat than an igloo!
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

Yes, I mean why would Canadians get mad at GW? For trying to deport Celine Dion

Lol she looks like ET in those.

I always felt that Sweet Home Alabama was referring to both Southern Man and Alabama. A rebuttal to both songs.

Originally posted by Carnak
    I always felt that Sweet Home Alabama was referring to both Southern Man and Alabama. A rebuttal to both songs.

I always felt like " O Canada" was referring to Canada and someone just couldn't find the words to express anything else.

O Canada!
    Our home and native land!
    True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
    The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

Kind of gives a understanding to the classic Canadian paragraph > "Eh ?"

[i]Originally posted by nevada

I have no need or desire to increase my posts counter nor impress anyone here.[/B]
    And you're doing a helluva job at that.

A national anthem, about the country, makes good sense to me.

"My Country 'Tis of Thee", was in the running to be an American anthem except of course, it sampled 'God Save the King', now of course "Queen". They would have had to re-worked the last line a bit too, now with the separation of Church and State.

http://www.lilesnet.com/patriotic/mu...is_of_thee.htm

'America the Beautiful' also is a good song.

I really like the lyrics, good stuff like "purple mountain majesties", all about a country.

http://www.llerrah.com/america.htm

But a song about a flag with standing a naval bombardment, also has some great lyrics, and stong octave ranges that really hit you and invoke emotions, similar to "Amazing Grace". The USSR had good music to their anthem as well.

Star Spangled Banner is a great song, I mean no disrespect whatsover. It is about a battle, it has one redeeming line that makes it a true anthem, "O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave"

[Edited by Carnak on 08-27-2005 at 02:45 PM]

Originally posted by Carnak
    A national anthem, about the country, makes good sense to me.

Star Spangled Banner is a great song, I mean no disrespect whatsover. It is about a battle, it has one redeeming line that makes it a true anthem, "O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave"
    Alot of Americans bad-mouth the Star Spangled Banner as being a difficult song to sing and about a meaningless little battle in a meaningless little war.

It was written during the war of 1812. The English had just burned down the White House after routing our army in Washington. So the English thought they'd teach Baltimore a lesson. They called it a "nest of pirates". In addition to the naval bombardment of Ft. McHenry, The English landed their army at North Point about 7 miles East of Baltimore. They were met by mostly Baltimore Militia.

A seventeen year old kid hiding in a tree, sniped the English General Ross right off his white horse, killing him. The militia went toe to toe with the veteran English army(veterans of the Crimean War and the charge of the light brigade in Europe) for an hour at the Battle of North Point before retreating to defensive works at the Eastern edge of Baltimore.

The next morning the English disheartened at losing their general and the failure of Ft. McHenry to surrender, reboarded their ships and left the Chesapeake Bay.

Far from being a meaningless little war, It convinced the English that we really were independent and could defend ourselves.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast