Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

I added about 2 1/2 gals of gas (thought it was diesel) to what i thought was a near empty oil tank. turns out the tank had about 40 gals of fuel in it. i quickly drained it out and have it stored in a drum. now that i have 150 gals of oil in the tank is it safe to add any or all of this stuff back into the tank. im getting conflicting opinions from folks and having a hard time trying to get rid of the stuff. Thanks for reading this. help!

Lightbulb

Put it in the car.......

You've got a couple of options. 1. Take it your local landfill as hazardous waste. 2. Use it to start barn fires. 3. Take a chance putting it in a diesel truck/car( it won't hurt it, but it will be dyed, and the DOT can fine you if caught(tax evasion). Personally, I'd do the second option, and find out if anyone you know has off-road equipment, as it would work in there also.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

put it in the car?

im talking 40 gals of home heating oil with 5% gasoline content. can i put some into the 150 gals now in the tank. CAR?

thanks smokin68

so it wouldnt be safe to intergrate any into the tank? i guess the landfill but my town has a one day a year turn in ot hazardous waste, i would have to wait till nov 3rd. i cant transport the 40 gals . i would have to tell them im bringing 5 gals at a time. then they would probably come around to see where i have it now. its in a drum but i dont imagine thats good enough. i couldnt get the stuff to ignite. its 40 gals of home heating oil with 5% gas content, you mean it could realy be used by someone.

if you call a few junk yards or auto repair shops lots of times they have waste oil furnaces

they might be willing to take it off your hands just tell them what it is so they know what they are getting

as far as putting it in you oil tak looks like you are looking for someone to tell you its ok

well before you do figure what you home, furnace, health, or life may be worth
    and see if its worth more or less than the 40 gallons of heating oil

Won't the gas and oil sperate after a while? Oil/gasoline mixes seperate in a 2 stroke engine. skim the gas off the top and reuse the oil.

thanks for the advice dhvac, ill check those places out. im sure your right about the risk vs the reward. i just wanted to put it back in as a way to get rid of it.

thanks for your comment johnsp

home heating oil and gasoline do not mix.

they are chemically different.

any amount of gasoline that could potentially enter an oil burner will result in an explosion and injury.

you are doing the right thing by not adding a mixture into the tank.

we have some tractor pulls here for the fall fair and they run a mixture of diesel and naptha and/or a small percent of high octane aviation fuel (109 octane).

maybe see if you have something similar in your area and if someone could use the mixture you have in your container.

just a thought instead of taking to the hazardous waste depot :-)
    Here's your sign...

Shouldnt the gasoline evaporate?
    Saddle Up!

just as in my neck of the woods im getting a split opinion from the pros

I can't believe you would even want to try it.

You've been warned and still want to entertain the thought.

Do what you feel is best for you and your family.

If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

so thats 5 no's, 1 yes and one maybe or is that 2 yes's or 2 maybes.

looks like i wont be burning it. hope i can get it to someone who can use it.

thanks to all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast