whats your take on this?

Unhappy

I was dispatched out on a oil furnace service plan annual tune up. one of our premum contracts$$$. the house is in a old part of town the locals call deaths door step.I went in and did my tune up nothing special done, no problems found. as im standing there with my toolbox in one hand and clip bord in the other asking for a signiture. she slips $5.00 in my shirt pocket as a tip. normaly i say thanks and go on my way. this lady is 70+yrs old living on social security and verry modest means. I'm surprised she has the s/p she has. And now a tip. do you keep it and regret taking her cash or do you give it back and offend her generosity?

Personally, I would just keep the tip, and not offend her generosity. Whenever somebody offers me a tip after a repair, I always decline it first as not being necessary, but when they insist, I take it and thank them - I figure they wouldn't offer it if they didn't want me to have it.

In my entire one year in the HVAC field, I've worked on everything from 3 million dollar homes with 8 heating and a/c systems, to junky trailers, where the owner barely had a pot to pi$$ in, and a window to throw it out of... guess who is more likely to tip? It's always the person with little money.

Lightbulb Appreciate It

Originally posted by rasmussen6880

as im standing there with my toolbox in one hand and clip bord in the other asking for a signiture. she slips $5.00 in my shirt pocket as a tip. normaly i say thanks and go on my way.

I'm surprised she has the s/p she has. And now a tip. do you keep it and regret taking her cash or do you give it back and offend her generosity?
    Did you give her a kiss on the cheek?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Does s/p stand for sexy panties or sloppy ?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Question SnP

Originally posted by twilli3967
    Does s/p stand for sexy panties or sloppy ?
    S&P = Standard & Poor's
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

lol

Originally posted by rasmussen6880
    I was dispatched out on a oil furnace service plan annual tune up. one of our premum contracts$$$. the house is in a old part of town the locals call deaths door step.I went in and did my tune up nothing special done, no problems found. as im standing there with my toolbox in one hand and clip bord in the other asking for a signiture. she slips $5.00 in my shirt pocket as a tip. normaly i say thanks and go on my way. this lady is 70+yrs old living on social security and verry modest means. I'm surprised she has the s/p she has. And now a tip. do you keep it and regret taking her cash or do you give it back and offend her generosity?
    I have a hard time even charging people like that much less taking a tip but I have been in this situation before. Just last week I had a customer add $200 to a check and he could easily afford it. I donated that money to Hospice. You can do a couple of things with the $5. You can find one of those jars you see at a restaurant asking for donations for a ill child in trouble and slip it in or put another $5 with it and buy the old woman a potted plant and leave at her door with a note telling her you have rewarded her kindness. I personally could not keep it.

What James' said. Most of the time I don't charge the elderly for a tune-up or small repair at all. Of course it's my time and my parts.
    "FIGHT CRIME: SHOOT BACK"

Give it to your employer; ask him to add it to your pay check so you can have taxes drawn from it. You don't want to cheat Uncle Sammy. ....kidding

Aren't tips nice on one hand but embarrassing on the other? Do you work for tips, of course not but when it comes it does make you feel good that someone sees how hard you work. On the other hand how do you take it without feeling guilty.

I always liked... "Thank you very much, is there anything else I may assist with today? No? You are very kind, we appreciate your business."

Keep the light off of the tip and back on the business at hand, doing a good job and making the customers feel important at the same time without the offending....

“Nooooo, you don’t have to do that!”

See what I mean. Just a suggestion..

There certainly seems to be a lot of charitable acts going on lately, so that got me thinking about a young widow I meet a few days ago and how lonely and depressed she was. So I'm thinking I should go back and see her and try and cheer her up maybe even take her on a weekend get away.

Guys do you think this is a good idea? Should I tell my wife or surprise her? To be honest my wife seems to have a real negative attitude about these kind of things.

Could you send me that $5.00 I'll put it to good use.

Exclamation Terminal

Originally posted by twilli3967
    There certainly seems to be a lot of charitable acts going on lately, so that got me thinking about a young widow I meet a few days ago and how lonely and depressed she was. So I'm thinking I should go back and see her and try and cheer her up maybe even take her on a weekend get away.

Guys do you think this is a good idea? Should I tell my wife or surprise her? To be honest my wife seems to have a real negative attitude about these kind of things.

Could you send me that $5.00 I'll put it to good use.
    What is the topic of this thread anyway ?
    __ R E P L A C E M E N T S __ ! !!
    __ E N A O
    __ A D L L
    __ L
    Designer Dan

lots of good insite here, thanks to all respondance. i think we dont get enuff tips for what we do, you tip your waitress for bringing breakfast or the delivery guy for the pizza. why not us we keep you warm at night when your furnace breaks at 10pm or at the heat of 90+ and the a/c now works and its all after hrs. and time away from our homes. that warrents tipping. do we get it, not to often. now i dont think the little old ladys that remind you of grandma should tip or pay as much as the normal run of the mill customer that is not strugling. i wouldnt charge as much if big brother wasn't over my sholder and our maintance plans are prepaid.

on another topic why is it the well of are allways the ones to ask for the discounts every place, the ball players that make millions each year get free every thing but i pay full price for pro wings. its B/S.
    as for twili sounds like a good idea whats your address so i can put the check in the mail
    lol...... ya right