Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I was born in 63. It was a very good year.

Did ya ever see anybody go ape at the submarine races?

That mighta been a little before you. Maybe not.

Try 43 in Tennesse. "Crawfishing" slang for backing up on what you said. Changing what you first said or meant. He is "crawfishing". Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Did ya ever see anybody go ape at the submarine races?

That mighta been a little before you. Maybe not.
    we used to check out the submarine races all the time growing up in Southie ( South Boston,Ma.)

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Try 43 in Tennesse. "Crawfishing" slang for backing up on what you said. Changing what you first said or meant. He is "crawfishing". Thank you, thank you very much
    Here's some Texas slang. I've only lived here 35 years, so I haven't used 'em all yet.

http://www.rice.edu/armadillo/Texas/talk.html

Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    we used to check out the submarine races all the time growing up in Southie ( South Boston,Ma.)
    I've meet some real chowda heads up there before. Most were drinkin' be-ea in da kaa.

That's not really slang though. More of an Irish Brogue dialect thing.

I've meet some real chowda heads up there before. Most were drinkin' beea in da kaa.
    that would be me.

Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    that would be me.
    I spent a few years in New England. You can hear the accents change almost from city to city. Never mind state to state.

Yop, like in Maine for instance.
    Last edited by the dangling wrangler; 05-24-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Born and raised in Boston. Living in NC for the past ten years. Don't miss the city life, but there was more sense of community there. and neighborhood taverns, oh well.

Balderdash.

Git on it

Bite me
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

dogging it

I'm a dinosaur I guess. I still use some of these old slang words.Not every day, but fairly often. Here's a few.

Anybody else? Or is it just me?
    Nah, you're not on your own lonesome.

Just read your post before I have ta light-a-shuck and get on off to work.

Chuckle, spent a career in the Navy, traveled and lived all over, and had thought I'd been converted to pretty much a "generic" American. Add that while I was born and raised down in Southern territories, I retired to Yankee Land (Minnesota), complete with a Minnesota wife, kids, etc. And I'm a computer geek (used to do electrical and mechanical, now I'm a DDC controls type).

So I'd thought I'd long ago dropped speaking the "old way".

However, time to time folks around here, including my own family, remind me that I haven't.

i.e. Recently we had a get together, grand daughter's birthday, attended family and friends. Mixture of oldsters and younguns. And one young fellow was feeling his oats, and yarning it up a good bit, about someone he was mad at, back ta work. Really braggin it up about when and if and what he'd do if opportunity knocked.

I listened a bit, and commented to those I was sitting with, "Yeah, yeah. Gater mouth, hummin bird a**. He'd better learn to keep his yap shut before someone pokes him in the snot locker, and gives him a whuppin."

Some of those sitting with me were 20 somethings. Plus a middle aged lady from England. They seemed fascinated with what I'd said. And asked about it. My son jumped in and told em to pay no nevermind. And explained that his dear old dad, was both gittin old and from other parts. (That's NOT exactly how he said it, that's how my mind interpreted his words.)

Then he had some fun at my expense.

For instance, he told the others "Listen to this. Hey, Dad, where do you take your laundry if you haven't got your own washing machine?" I responded, puzzled "You mean a washateria?" They all laughed. Then he asked if I'd go and get him a re-fill on his plate (he was holding my youngest grand kid on his lap), I replied "Yup, sure thing, whatcha want me to fetchcha? Tube steak or hockey-pucks?" And they all chuckled again. I fetched him and myself a fresh plate of grub. The head cook and bottle warsher ... my wife .. had put out quite the spread and the vittles were great. A fact I commented on upon my return to the group, and again they all laughed.

And so it went. They were highly amused. Fine with me, I went along with it.

He continued with such things as asking me what the latest "scuttlebutt" was around the office where I work. I answered without thinking much about it. "Nada, same-o same-o."

More chuckles, and puzzled looks. Someone asked my son what "scuttlebutt" meant.

Kinda used to it. I generally take care in my speakin when out in the general public. In private, around family and friends, I tend to slip. It's like a conversation I was having with my oldest grandson recently (he's 16). He has been taking Civics in school recently, and we were discussing politics. I forget exactly what we were discussing, but at one point I quipped, "I don't give a rip about that, and wouldn't give 2 bits for his opinion."

At which point the grandson had to stop me and ask what was ... 2 bits?

LOL ....

Did a little lookup via Google, and found this:

http://littlerock.about.com/cs/south...southslang.htm

And was surprised at how many of those terms I still use, when speaking informally amongst friends.
    A site where I stash some stuff that might be interesting to some folks.
    http://cid-0554c074ec47c396.office.l...e.aspx/.Public

Quote Originally Posted by osiyo View Post
    Nah, you're not on your own lonesome.

Just read your post before I have ta light-a-shuck and get on off to work.

Chuckle, spent a career in the Navy, traveled and lived all over, and had thought I'd been converted to pretty much a "generic" American. Add that while I was born and raised down in Southern territories, I retired to Yankee Land (Minnesota), complete with a Minnesota wife, kids, etc. And I'm a computer geek (used to do electrical and mechanical, now I'm a DDC controls type).

So I'd thought I'd long ago dropped speaking the "old way".

However, time to time folks around here, including my own family, remind me that I haven't.

i.e. Recently we had a get together, grand daughter's birthday, attended family and friends. Mixture of oldsters and younguns. And one young fellow was feeling his oats, and yarning it up a good bit, about someone he was mad at, back ta work. Really braggin it up about when and if and what he'd do if opportunity knocked.

I listened a bit, and commented to those I was sitting with, "Yeah, yeah. Gater mouth, hummin bird a**. He'd better learn to keep his yap shut before someone pokes him in the snot locker, and gives him a whuppin."

Some of those sitting with me were 20 somethings. Plus a middle aged lady from England. They seemed fascinated with what I'd said. And asked about it. My son jumped in and told em to pay no nevermind. And explained that his dear old dad, was both gittin old and from other parts. (That's NOT exactly how he said it, that's how my mind interpreted his words.)

Then he had some fun at my expense.

For instance, he told the others "Listen to this. Hey, Dad, where do you take your laundry if you haven't got your own washing machine?" I responded, puzzled "You mean a washateria?" They all laughed. Then he asked if I'd go and get him a re-fill on his plate (he was holding my youngest grand kid on his lap), I replied "Yup, sure thing, whatcha want me to fetchcha? Tube steak or hockey-pucks?" And they all chuckled again. I fetched him and myself a fresh plate of grub. The head cook and bottle warsher ... my wife .. had put out quite the spread and the vittles were great. A fact I commented on upon my return to the group, and again they all laughed.

And so it went. They were highly amused. Fine with me, I went along with it.

He continued with such things as asking me what the latest "scuttlebutt" was around the office where I work. I answered without thinking much about it. "Nada, same-o same-o."

More chuckles, and puzzled looks. Someone asked my son what "scuttlebutt" meant.

Kinda used to it. I generally take care in my speakin when out in the general public. In private, around family and friends, I tend to slip. It's like a conversation I was having with my oldest grandson recently (he's 16). He has been taking Civics in school recently, and we were discussing politics. I forget exactly what we were discussing, but at one point I quipped, "I don't give a rip about that, and wouldn't give 2 bits for his opinion."

At which point the grandson had to stop me and ask what was ... 2 bits?

LOL ....

Did a little lookup via Google, and found this:

http://littlerock.about.com/cs/south...southslang.htm

And was surprised at how many of those terms I still use, when speaking informally amongst friends.
    I knew exactly what you were saying. Didn't have to look up anything. Small world, & a good story to boot.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast