+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Slang Words You Still Use

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    that would be me.
    I spent a few years in New England. You can hear the accents change almost from city to city. Never mind state to state.

Yop, like in Maine for instance.
    Last edited by the dangling wrangler; 05-24-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Post Likes
    Born and raised in Boston. Living in NC for the past ten years. Don't miss the city life, but there was more sense of community there. and neighborhood taverns, oh well.

Post Likes
    Balderdash.

Git on it

Bite me
    Why am I the only naked person at this gender reveal party

Post Likes
    dogging it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    I'm a dinosaur I guess. I still use some of these old slang words.Not every day, but fairly often. Here's a few.

Anybody else? Or is it just me?
    Nah, you're not on your own lonesome.

Just read your post before I have ta light-a-shuck and get on off to work.

Chuckle, spent a career in the Navy, traveled and lived all over, and had thought I'd been converted to pretty much a "generic" American. Add that while I was born and raised down in Southern territories, I retired to Yankee Land (Minnesota), complete with a Minnesota wife, kids, etc. And I'm a computer geek (used to do electrical and mechanical, now I'm a DDC controls type).

So I'd thought I'd long ago dropped speaking the "old way".

However, time to time folks around here, including my own family, remind me that I haven't.

i.e. Recently we had a get together, grand daughter's birthday, attended family and friends. Mixture of oldsters and younguns. And one young fellow was feeling his oats, and yarning it up a good bit, about someone he was mad at, back ta work. Really braggin it up about when and if and what he'd do if opportunity knocked.

I listened a bit, and commented to those I was sitting with, "Yeah, yeah. Gater mouth, hummin bird a**. He'd better learn to keep his yap shut before someone pokes him in the snot locker, and gives him a whuppin."

Some of those sitting with me were 20 somethings. Plus a middle aged lady from England. They seemed fascinated with what I'd said. And asked about it. My son jumped in and told em to pay no nevermind. And explained that his dear old dad, was both gittin old and from other parts. (That's NOT exactly how he said it, that's how my mind interpreted his words.)

Then he had some fun at my expense.

For instance, he told the others "Listen to this. Hey, Dad, where do you take your laundry if you haven't got your own washing machine?" I responded, puzzled "You mean a washateria?" They all laughed. Then he asked if I'd go and get him a re-fill on his plate (he was holding my youngest grand kid on his lap), I replied "Yup, sure thing, whatcha want me to fetchcha? Tube steak or hockey-pucks?" And they all chuckled again. I fetched him and myself a fresh plate of grub. The head cook and bottle warsher ... my wife .. had put out quite the spread and the vittles were great. A fact I commented on upon my return to the group, and again they all laughed.

And so it went. They were highly amused. Fine with me, I went along with it.

He continued with such things as asking me what the latest "scuttlebutt" was around the office where I work. I answered without thinking much about it. "Nada, same-o same-o."

More chuckles, and puzzled looks. Someone asked my son what "scuttlebutt" meant.

Kinda used to it. I generally take care in my speakin when out in the general public. In private, around family and friends, I tend to slip. It's like a conversation I was having with my oldest grandson recently (he's 16). He has been taking Civics in school recently, and we were discussing politics. I forget exactly what we were discussing, but at one point I quipped, "I don't give a rip about that, and wouldn't give 2 bits for his opinion."

At which point the grandson had to stop me and ask what was ... 2 bits?

LOL ....

Did a little lookup via Google, and found this:

http://littlerock.about.com/cs/south...southslang.htm

And was surprised at how many of those terms I still use, when speaking informally amongst friends.
    A site where I stash some stuff that might be interesting to some folks.
    http://cid-0554c074ec47c396.office.l...e.aspx/.Public

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by osiyo View Post
    Nah, you're not on your own lonesome.

Just read your post before I have ta light-a-shuck and get on off to work.

Chuckle, spent a career in the Navy, traveled and lived all over, and had thought I'd been converted to pretty much a "generic" American. Add that while I was born and raised down in Southern territories, I retired to Yankee Land (Minnesota), complete with a Minnesota wife, kids, etc. And I'm a computer geek (used to do electrical and mechanical, now I'm a DDC controls type).

So I'd thought I'd long ago dropped speaking the "old way".

However, time to time folks around here, including my own family, remind me that I haven't.

i.e. Recently we had a get together, grand daughter's birthday, attended family and friends. Mixture of oldsters and younguns. And one young fellow was feeling his oats, and yarning it up a good bit, about someone he was mad at, back ta work. Really braggin it up about when and if and what he'd do if opportunity knocked.

I listened a bit, and commented to those I was sitting with, "Yeah, yeah. Gater mouth, hummin bird a**. He'd better learn to keep his yap shut before someone pokes him in the snot locker, and gives him a whuppin."

Some of those sitting with me were 20 somethings. Plus a middle aged lady from England. They seemed fascinated with what I'd said. And asked about it. My son jumped in and told em to pay no nevermind. And explained that his dear old dad, was both gittin old and from other parts. (That's NOT exactly how he said it, that's how my mind interpreted his words.)

Then he had some fun at my expense.

For instance, he told the others "Listen to this. Hey, Dad, where do you take your laundry if you haven't got your own washing machine?" I responded, puzzled "You mean a washateria?" They all laughed. Then he asked if I'd go and get him a re-fill on his plate (he was holding my youngest grand kid on his lap), I replied "Yup, sure thing, whatcha want me to fetchcha? Tube steak or hockey-pucks?" And they all chuckled again. I fetched him and myself a fresh plate of grub. The head cook and bottle warsher ... my wife .. had put out quite the spread and the vittles were great. A fact I commented on upon my return to the group, and again they all laughed.

And so it went. They were highly amused. Fine with me, I went along with it.

He continued with such things as asking me what the latest "scuttlebutt" was around the office where I work. I answered without thinking much about it. "Nada, same-o same-o."

More chuckles, and puzzled looks. Someone asked my son what "scuttlebutt" meant.

Kinda used to it. I generally take care in my speakin when out in the general public. In private, around family and friends, I tend to slip. It's like a conversation I was having with my oldest grandson recently (he's 16). He has been taking Civics in school recently, and we were discussing politics. I forget exactly what we were discussing, but at one point I quipped, "I don't give a rip about that, and wouldn't give 2 bits for his opinion."

At which point the grandson had to stop me and ask what was ... 2 bits?

LOL ....

Did a little lookup via Google, and found this:

http://littlerock.about.com/cs/south...southslang.htm

And was surprised at how many of those terms I still use, when speaking informally amongst friends.
    I knew exactly what you were saying. Didn't have to look up anything. Small world, & a good story to boot.

Post Likes
    Mines a slang word I came up with as a kid - Gription. It's like traction, but only with your hands. Anytime I'm working with something slippery and can't get a good grip I'll say I can't get any gription on it.

Post Likes
    The "Board of Education" had an entirely different meaning back then..........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by StingrayHH View Post
    Mines a slang word I came up with as a kid - Gription. It's like traction, but only with your hands. Anytime I'm working with something slippery and can't get a good grip I'll say I can't get any gription on it.
    OK. That's acceptable. Plus, you get extra points for originality.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    The "Board of Education" had an entirely different meaning back then..........
    If it's the same one we had, it was a 6" wide hickory (or oak) paddle.

And, people weren't afraid to use it when necessary.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    OK. That's acceptable. Plus, you get extra points for originality.
    The funny thing is, you'll probably use it now that you've heard it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by StingrayHH View Post
    The funny thing is, you'll probably use it now that you've heard it
    As long as you don't trademark it I will.

Post Likes
    Not exactly slang but here are some old expression used where I use to work before I retired. I didn’t use the ones that would get me banned.

“Work you like a borrowed Mule.”
    “Nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.”
    “That boy is a brick shy of a full load.”
    “I ain’t got a dog in that fight.”
    “No skin off my nose.”
    “He is lazier than an old yellar Dog.”
    “Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face.”
    “If wishes were Horses then beggars would ride.”
    “I wasn’t born yesterday.”
    “Around here you’re only going to find Sympathy in the dictionary.”
    “Do I need to read to you chapter one verses 1 thru 10 from the Book of Life?”
    “Well that’s another brick for the pathway of good intentions”
    “If you don’t think God has a sense of humor, explain to him how you have planned your day.”
    “Well if you are going to convince me of that, I hope you packed us both a lunch.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
    Not exactly slang but here are some old expression used where I use to work before I retired. I didn’t use the ones that would get me banned.

“Work you like a borrowed Mule.”
    “Nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.”
    “That boy is a brick shy of a full load.”
    “I ain’t got a dog in that fight.”
    “No skin off my nose.”
    “He is lazier than an old yellar Dog.”
    “Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face.”
    “If wishes were Horses then beggars would ride.”
    “I wasn’t born yesterday.”
    “Around here you’re only going to find Sympathy in the dictionary.”
    “Do I need to read to you chapter one verses 1 thru 10 from the Book of Life?”
    “Well that’s another brick for the pathway of good intentions”
    “If you don’t think God has a sense of humor, explain to him how you have planned your day.”
    “Well if you are going to convince me of that, I hope you packed us both a lunch.”
    Those will work.
    We're easy here.

Post Likes
    Giphofinator (ge-phof-in-ator)

as in: "OH my, that guy just got hit in the Giphofinator, thats got to hurt"

One of the Buffalo Bills announcers made that up about 10-15 years ago when Jim Kelly got hit in the nuts....but you can't say that on TV, so he made up that word.

The spelling is purely a guess
    Why am I the only naked person at this gender reveal party

Post Likes
    Having a blast = A good time

Boss = Cool

Bread = Money

Church Key = Bottle opener

Gum Ball Machine = Cop Car

Split = Leave

I'll think of more. I hardly ever use any of these though. But have in the not too distant past. Heck, maybe I'll start again.

Post Likes
    po-po the police, not one I ever used.

at last job if an install looked good it was "factory"

craptastic- really crappy

if something was messed up by the last guy, and kept breaking as I tried to fix it- it had jackleg cooties- I made that one up one day

memiorgraph- early photocopier/ printer

stomp a mudhole in you and walk it dry

was doing some reading lately and saw some old terms from obselete technology-
    - belted up to the flywheel (I assume referring to the old drive wheels in the ceiling of factories with water power w/ belts transferring power to machinery)
    - broke it open on the throw of the engine ( put an object where the crankshaft of a recriprocating steam engine would catch it against the foundation of the engine?)
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Haven't heard "gotta make a trip to the two holer" in a while.

Post Likes

hussmann

anyone have any tech info on a lbf8 as in does it use a fan to blow air past evap core

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zbenson View Post
    anyone have any tech info on a lbf8 as in does it use a fan to blow air past evap core
    Are you sure you posted in the right thread?
    This is a thread about old slang words people still use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in