Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb

Is anybody familiar with this (add-on) dumidifier device/control??

http://www.dry-air.com/veriDry.htm

I don't know whether to think it's some great new invention, snake oil, or something in-between??

Description on the web page doesn't give any indication as to how the thing is actually supposed to work, but the company's main-line dehumidifier products seem well thought out.

Magic

According to the website, this gadget is efficient, high capacity, and a DIY project! Sounds to me like there might be some overselling going on, though I would surely like to learn more. Sounds too good to be true.

Do they understand the problem fully, being located in Michigan? Just wondering, lots of us have educational biases based on where we live. I know I do.

Regards -- P.Student

Well, I can't imagine it would be related to this:
    http://www.pioneerair.com/MSDS_VERI-DRY_40+.pdf

but there certainly is great potential for confusion due to the name!

Re: Magic

Originally posted by perpetual_student

Do they understand the problem fully, being located in Michigan? Just wondering, lots of us have educational biases based on where we live. I know I do.

Regards -- P.Student
    Perpetual, you ignoramus! What makes you believe that being located in Michigan has anything to do with understanding the problem, whatever that "problem" may be? Are you under the false belief that we do not have humidity problems in Michigan?

Having said that, yes, it does appear like snake oil. Any device like that without a picture or explanation is bogus.

Web sure didn't have much info or detials or the products.. I think it's a fly by night thing.

These 2 things:
    *100% Humidity control
    *Controls humidity first, space heating and cooling second.

Are not possible and still have this be true:
    *Reduces cooling costs substantially

At least not for total energy usage.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Hmm CaCL2

Originally posted by muggy
    Is anybody familiar with this (add-on) dumidifier device/control??

http://www.dry-air.com/veriDry.htm

I don't know whether to think it's some great new invention, snake oil, or something in-between??

Description on the web page doesn't give any indication as to how the thing is actually supposed to work, but the company's main-line dehumidifier products seem well thought out.
    http://www.pioneerair.com/MSDS_VERI-DRY_40+.pdf

MSDS sheet on the Pioneer Air link states that it is
    91% Calcium Chloride ( CaCL2)

http://www.dcchem.co.kr/english/prod.../p_basic03.htm

Dehumidifying

Calcium Chloride maintains living conditions pleasant by eliminating moisture and bad smells of the air from a closet, wardrobe, vehicle, stereo-case etc. Also in the industrial workplace, Calcium Chloride does help to extend durability by preventing dew from forming on various equipments.

[Edited by dan sw fl on 08-27-2005 at 04:53 AM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

RCA in Marion IN in 1965, used CaCl2 filled tower to get "instrumentation" dry air. 2 towers, maybe 2ft diam x 8ft hi, piped to a elec heater which was used to dry out 1 tower out of service. The moisture content of "dry" air was checked ea hour. In this service, $ cost of regeneration was not computed.

So, one can use calcium cloride for drying areas, knowing that it must be replaced ever so often, and/ or regenerated. When added into concrete, less than 4%, it prevents freezing, aids in setting. It may be added to food as a preservative, textile, paper,-- absorbes dust.

Mom used CaCl2 in the 1960s in a basement apartment, I put some in a collander over a drain. Dehums, as appliances, were not available then.

[Edited by cem-bsee on 08-27-2005 at 07:57 AM]

Location affecting view of world

With Honeywell based in Minnesota, I was thinking that was part of the reason they refuse to acknowledge any humidity problem with their thermostat fan algorithms (they take no note of how long since the AC has stopped). And I thought that might explain why Aprilaire went like 50 years making humidifiers, then just last year announced their dehumidifier as if it were a new thing. I do recall Lstiburek making mention of Yankees coming South with their designs which are inherently flawed in a hot-humid climate.

But on my being an ignoramus, that may be. Depends on what that word means.

Regards -- P.Student

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The product they are selling is likely a "Z" coil,it is a charged coil on either side of the cooling coil,the heat transfer causes some reheat and dehum..

It uses no electric ,but being in the airstream,increases the ESP of the system.

Goggle "Z" coil,and you'll find it.

it's not magic and it's not chemical, it sounds just like a regular dehumidifier with an extra water coil for heating water.

On the equipment specs page they say:

The DRY-AIR Dehumidifiers are a single packaged component containing the compressor, air handler, air coils, and water to refrigerant coils. The unit is generally coupled to an inline duct heater, electric heating module, steam or hot water coil for room heating and a secondary stainless steel pool water heat exchanger. The units feature a built-in full capacity water-to refrigerant condensing coil for pool heat
    So it's probably no better than other units that do the same thing but make it actually easier to see what they are Though it's not magic, they do seem to be going out of their way to make it SOUND like magic! I suppose that might be clever marketing for the DIY crowd, but I dont appreciate it and want to know what I'm actually doing.

Here's a link to their home page.

http://www.dry-air.com/index.html
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by dash
    The product they are selling is likely a "Z" coil,it is a charged coil on either side of the cooling coil,the heat transfer causes some reheat and dehum..

It uses no electric ,but being in the airstream,increases the ESP of the system.

Goggle "Z" coil,and you'll find it.
    From the webiste, you cannot tell much of anything about the magic product.

Heat pipes will add some static, but I have also seen some mositure condensate on the upstream pre-cooling coil on a commercial application.

When I build, I will install a Z-coil.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast