Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    HELLO TIM,
    I DO ALOT OF WORK IN BROOKLYN NY BROWNSTONES AND WE USE HARD PIPE ON ALL FLOORS EXCEPT FOR THE ATTIC.....MOST OF THE DUCT IS IN A CONDITION SPACE AND IT WONT CONDENSATE WHEN IT GETS COLD... BUT IN ATTIC'S WE RUN SQUARE DUCT AND 8 FEET OF INSULATED FLEX TO DIFFUSER'S....WE USE .08 STATIC PRESSURE WHEN WE SIZE UP DUCT. WHAT DO YOU USE?

PAUL

Originally posted by paul mancini
    HELLO TIM,
    I DO ALOT OF WORK IN BROOKLYN NY BROWNSTONES AND WE USE HARD PIPE ON ALL FLOORS EXCEPT FOR THE ATTIC.....MOST OF THE DUCT IS IN A CONDITION SPACE AND IT WONT CONDENSATE WHEN IT GETS COLD... BUT IN ATTIC'S WE RUN SQUARE DUCT AND 8 FEET OF INSULATED FLEX TO DIFFUSER'S....WE USE .08 STATIC PRESSURE WHEN WE SIZE UP DUCT. WHAT DO YOU USE?

PAU
    Paul, can you please turn off your caps? Caps is the same as yelling here and anywhere else on the internet.

regular flex is okay as long as installed properly and sized right. I have seen some of the old black plastic/rubber coated duct have the insulation fail after many years, but that is in an arizona attic.. if you are going with flex use the silver kind, I have it in my house and my airflow is pretty good,, I think the R-value is at about 4.2 which is fine for ducts.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by NormChris

What do the union sheet metal people think of flexduct?

No offense ,but why should we care ,and the answer seems obvious.LOL

Norm...Dash!

Hey Norm, I'm a Union contractor and I won't use flex except fot the last 5' or so in a lay in diffuser. It just doesn't preform. As fo Dash. The insulation that was falling off in your Florada atics I really doubt was stalped as is required if an installer would take the time to read the install instructions. The tape is just to pretty up the seams. Staples also were not the question. The question was longivity. I'll bet you Dash the metal duct will be there longer than you or your flex. And I also am certified T&B and I can tell you with instruments that flex will increase the fricional losses by a factor of 2. Why don't you out there just admit it you use flex to make more money. I'll admit I don't do residential work if I can help it as to bid it this is what I'll incounter, cheap ass contractors that take the money and run. I once did a lot of service work and understood the down the road and they thought they were just swell. But the tech that came after they left was cursed to try to solve the problems they created. I have people that when they learn I'm in this field will ask why there doesn't seem to be good air flow in their homes. When they describe their systems guess what? It's Flex Are Us Heating & Cooling.
    Tracers work both ways.

Re: Norm...Dash!

Originally posted by hvacker
    Hey Norm, I'm a Union contractor and I won't use flex except fot the last 5' or so in a lay in diffuser. It just doesn't preform. As fo Dash. The insulation that was falling off in your Florada atics I really doubt was stalped as is required if an installer would take the time to read the install instructions. The tape is just to pretty up the seams. Staples also were not the question. The question was longivity. I'll bet you Dash the metal duct will be there longer than you or your flex. And I also am certified T&B and I can tell you with instruments that flex will increase the fricional losses by a factor of 2. Why don't you out there just admit it you use flex to make more money. I'll admit I don't do residential work if I can help it as to bid it this is what I'll incounter, cheap ass contractors that take the money and run. I once did a lot of service work and understood the down the road and they thought they were just swell. But the tech that came after they left was cursed to try to solve the problems they created. I have people that when they learn I'm in this field will ask why there doesn't seem to be good air flow in their homes. When they describe their systems guess what? It's Flex Are Us Heating & Cooling.
    Do you think Dash doesn't know that flex has more friction loss?
    If you are certified for test and balance you should know how to compensate for using flex duct. Whoever lays the ducts out determines if it is going to work right. A poorly designed all metal system will have the same results as a poor flex system.

Re: Re: Norm...Dash!

Originally posted by trane

If you are certified for test and balance you should know how to compensate for using flex duct. Whoever lays the ducts out determines if it is going to work right. A poorly designed all metal system will have the same results as a poor flex system.
    Have to agree with you trane.

I have seen numerous flex duct systems balance out & deliver design airflow.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

as union for 15 years and used flex alot last couple years in. it has its place and if installed properly it will preform just as good as hard pipe. one thing to keep in mind there are codes for flex and even the manufactor recomends no more then 14 ft
    flex as a main trunk to an arrow head or box the take offs from there is just a cheap way to install and as far as i am concerned it should be against code. metal trunk duct with flex take offs is the best way the control cfms and also control pressure. my opinion only and dont mean to offend anyone.

I see nothing wrong with flex duct, or R410A, or Romex. Change is good. Education is important when implementing change.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by paul mancini
    HELLO TIM,

PAU

Assuming you mean .08 Friction Rate on a ductolator,it will be the wrong FR most of the time.Use Manual D,from http://www.acca.org ,and determine the correct FR,for each job.

In my opinion.....for what it's worth......I see nothing wrong with using flex the right way.

I really don't want to discuss using it the wrong way, because using anything the wrong way is ...well.....just wrong.

But using flex the right way is fine. I myself use flex alot. I mostly use it at the end of pipe runs to connect boots. I don't use much of it....maybe 4' or so.....but I do use it alot.

i also use it on short runs that are in difficult areas to fit into, or maybe need to be ovaled out a bit to fit.

Another application for me, is to use it in attic type designs where I run spiral pipe around the parimeter of the dwelling and use flex for the connections from saddle to boot. Maybe 2'-4' runs.

Again, I know when you hear "flex" you think of plunem systems in attics where there is a Janitrol furnace with 70' flex runs coming off of it. But, when used as it should be, it is fine.

Originally posted by brian in mass
    Again, I know when you hear "flex" you think of plunem systems in attics where there is a Janitrol furnace with 70' flex runs coming off of it.
    If properly designed and installed, a radial duct system in an attic with 70' runs of flex duct will deliver the exact same airflow and efficiency as any type of metal duct system.

Unfortunatly, they usually are not designed or installed correctly, the same can be said for most of the metal duct systems I have seen in my area.

Unfortunatly it is almost impossible to make a radial duct system look nice and neet.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12