Thread: Load calculation???

Post Likes
    I made a least 20 calls this morning about getting a load calculation on my home (Daytona Beach). The contractors that do the calculation only do them on new construction. I guess I'll try the software and do it myself. Any tips or advice on things to watch out for???

Post Likes
    Thats just crazy!! Anybody here from Daytona Beach area that can help this person out?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    I thought you had Total Comfort coming out Saturday,the can probably do that for you.I'd call them back and tell them what you want,ie a Manual J.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dash
    I thought you had Total Comfort coming out Saturday,the can probably do that for you.I'd call them back and tell them what you want,ie a Manual J.
    I did, they said the Sales Rep would give me a good idea of the tonnage I need, but they would only do a load calculation if I contracted them to do the installation. I asked how they could give me an accurate estimate if they are not 100% sure what size unit I require. The rep told me, "it's not rocket science". I give up!! I'll just try to do it myself, with the software!! I got a couple of links from a previous post, it seems to walk the user through the process step by step.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    They may not have explained it well, but that approach could be fine ,and has been mentioned several times by members of this site.

If the unit was too small,you would know,so it's either correct size or too large.So if they quote based on what you have,then do the calculation,if less is needed the price would go down slightly ,but definately not up,so you'd be happy.

The cost difference ,in a half ton difference is not that great.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by junior1964
    [B]
    Originally posted by dash

The rep told me, "it's not rocket science".

Thats because the "rep" probably has no clue how to do a heat loss/gain.
    Go to the top of the page and click on the bullseye. You can do the load calculations yourself. Its a very easy program to follow. If the company can't do a load calculation when they give you a bid I would look elsewhere for a price. Calculating the right size unit(s) for a home isn't "rocket science", but it is necessary if you want a properly sized system.

Post Likes
    get out the measuring tape -- window &door opening size, room size, how many windows to south, to west ( esp for heat gain | summer), check the insulation depth & type in attic & walls (say beside a switch box), general construction type = brick, stucco, frame, etc. just takes some time mainly.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by cem-bsee
    get out the measuring tape -- window &door opening size, room size, how many windows to south, to west ( esp for heat gain | summer), check the insulation depth & type in attic & walls (say beside a switch box), general construction type = brick, stucco, frame, etc. just takes some time mainly.
    Time is the one thing I have. My unit is keeping the house pretty cool even in these extreme temperatures. But it is 10 yrs old and I have noticed it seems more humid in the house this year compared to last. I want to stay ahead of any problems if I can.

Post Likes

Drawings + Window Schedule.

Originally posted by junior1964
    I made a least 20 calls this morning about getting a load calculation on my home in Daytona Beach. The contractors that do the calculation only do them on new construction. I guess I'll try the software and do it myself.

Any tips or advice on things to watch out for???

How many windows ( Sq.Ft.) on each side?
    Windows:
    __ Clear or Tinted Glass
    __ Interior treatment

Infiltration:
    ____ A.C.H.
    Duct work location:
    ____Attic ?
    House Age:
    ____Insulation
    ____Infiltration:

Curious: Current Electric Bill
    #/size Systems
    Sq.Ft. House

TIPS:
    See ACCA Manual J, 8th edition
    along with Appendices A, C and D.

or Send me _Plans& Specs_ ( i.e. cem-bsee post)
    for a load analysis.

Providing room-by-room layout in .DWG or .DWF format
    would be a nice time-saver.

_20 calls (most of the morning) is likely more effort than development of good load analysis after layout is established.

Best of luck.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    In this corner you have members of the HVAC profession working tirelessly to improve their trade and openly discussing issues and situations with others.

In the other corner you have members of the HVAC profession that say “it ain’t rocket science” and won’t give what the customer asks for, peace of mind.

Nice. Where are my little gold stars…. I want to pin this one.

Post Likes
    What dash said.

Post Likes

Improvements

Originally posted by junior1964
    [B Time is the one thing I have. My unit is keeping the house Pretty Cool even in these extreme temperatures.

But it is 10 yrs old and I have noticed it seems more humid in the house this year compared to last.
    I want to stay ahead of any problems if I can. [/B]
    More humid ...?
    (Trouble shooting + Guessing from afar
    ... West Coast FL .. L.O.L.)

Measure Delta T DIRECTLY across the Air Handler.
    ___ Supply ~60' and Return 77' or ~ 57% R.H.

___ Check refrigerant charge.
    ___ Clean the coils.__ Measure Delta T again.

___ Measure Total Air Flow.
    ___ Now you have your Sensible Cooling provided
    S.C.= 1.08 * CFM * Delta T

Even 2 or 3 degree improvement
    (say, 17' is now 20') will make R.H. gains of nearly 8%.
    Supply 57' (L.A.T.), Return 77' would provide noticable increase in comfort with R.H. at ~50%.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in