Have gone through three condenser motor fans in as many weeks. First was a goodman motor(GE). I replaced with the exact same make, and rating motor. It lasted 1 week. I replaced it with an A.O.Smith off of my truck (was out of goodmans),only diff between 1st two and this one was this is reversable(and yes, rotation is correct duh!)and this one requires its own cap. It died this afternoon with less than 24 hours use. Guys, this unit is at my house.. We have two split systems here so it's not really roasting us even with this southeast N.C.weather beating down. However my wife is going to turn up the heat if I dont soon rectify this.( If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy) Any and all suggestions are welcomed..I know A good deal about what I do but I dont know it all!
    AJS

Always tell the truth and you never have to remember what you! said!

Is this on a heat pump? I had a heat pump one time that went into defrost in the summer and at first we thought the fan motor was bad because the home owner said it would keep stopping several times a day.Turned out it would stop because the defrost timer stopped it.

coyote,

That's scenario is a riot and one that I never even contemplated but no.. while it's aheat pump I've been out there when it stopped... I would have heard the reversing valve. I think! Thanx for the input.
    AJS

Coyote wait!! Are you saying the df timer will cut the motor out without changing the RV? LOL Pal you just might be on to something !!!!! I;; check it first thing in the AM and let ya know ..thanx again coyote
    AJS

I'm sure you did, but you replace the capacitor? Also check your contacts.......might be low voltage/high amps going to OFM. Next time replace with higher HP.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

I've also run across several faulty fan relays on defrost boards.

Just pull the fan lead off of the relay on the board and attatch it directly to the contactor like a straight cool.

Hope you still have those other motors.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Just a shot, but what RPM was the original motor and what Rpm are you using. What is the amp draw of the motor and what is name plate. Maybe a Make and model #. Do you have an oversized rainshield on it that keeps it from cooling itself?

[Edited by james mo on 08-26-2005 at 09:25 PM]

In the winter when the unit goes into defrost it goes to the cooling cycle to defrost and stops the fan. But since it is in cooling the valve wont move just the fan stops. The unit that did this had a bad defrost sensor so every time the board called for defrost all it did was stop the fan.

something else is wrong! have you tried a new board just for kicks?

Wink

OK guys..my hat's off to all of you who responded. Especially Coyote and A/CDon. I removed the fan motor wire from DF on the board to directly on the load side of contactor..The unit has been running fine for a couple of hours now .. This is trouble shooting help at its finest ..thanx again fellas, You just may have helped me get lucky tonight!
    AJS