Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First of all, I had to go fix something on this pig 2 days ago. Techs have been replacing fises and transformers for weeks now.

These are two new Bryant Puron Split heat pumps.

I found the t-stat wire melted to the suction line inside this wall.
    I had to dig out what seemed to be concrete and cut out the bad and make splices with NO slack to pull more wire!

The thing that gets me is that this co is so pig headed about NO SOFT COPPPER at the condensing units.

So the installers cut the lines close to the wall and weld a 90 elbow right there.
    Wonder why the wire melted to the copper?

get called back today. Was pissed it broke again. but it wasn;t a short this time. The unit froze up and also was leaking water into the ceiling. DOH!!! This is a new install this last year.

Boy. it sure looks like it's got a lot of RUST in the cabinet for a unit running it's FIRST summer.

The drain was plugged 100%. Of course the co says that is on the customer since that's THERE pipe we attached to. But the unit was SAGGING so damn bad that it dumped the water into the return plenum and that leaked outside of the secondary onto the ceiling. the secondary is barely as wide and long as the main cabinet.

Also. I see why it's so rusty in here!
    Shouldn't there be some tube me thing me bob going from the top drain thingie to the bottom drain pan???
    Yup. The installer must have thrown them "spare parts" away!

When the ice was melting, I noticed the water leaking right into the insulation in the cabinet.

----------------------------------------------------

There was NO strap on the plenums. I had to add one to the return plenum to straighten this ***** out!
    Now the cover goes on 99% easier!

What pisses me off is this co charges MORE than the next guy. Says it is because the customer gets a profressional install LOL!
    They are so big on using ONLY hard copper with all them extra fittings to braze at the condensers where the customers LOOK at it.
    Yet they throw the copper lines and drains around in the attics like 6 monkeys having a sloppy orgy!
    And the lack of proper strapping is getting on my nerves!
    On 50% of their installs you curse them each time you have to do a smimple PM because when you pop the blower panel, the unit wants to fall apart it sags so bad!
    Then you need to pry it back together with a screwdriver while LIFTING the unit!

I say, FUKK the hard copper at the condensers! Use soft. No one can even tell once the inso is on, and you get way less leaks behind these monkeys!

---------------------------------------

So I get the thing back online and when I put the blower panel on the variable speed motor ramps up like it's going nuts and the air handler squeels from every crack!

So I think, what's going in back there, Maybe there's a restriction in the return???

HOLY SHEEP SHEET!
    Yeah. Try a 100% restriction!!!!

Note the nice 180 degree u-turn on that there return flex??!!!

So i had to bring my trusty sheet metal tools up in this Phoenix attic at 5PM in the afternoon and fix this sloppy *****!
    I capped the end and cut the collar into the side. Cut out the bad section of flex. And added some duct strapping to give it a nice radius turn into the collar.

I spent 3 hrs on this POS call this afternoon!

This is starting to be a trend again over here me thinks. Time to print up some pics and some instructions to give this install crew!!!

--------------------------------------------------

[Edited by PaysonHVAC on 08-26-2005 at 12:58 AM]

Oh yeah. It took a few tries with the trusty Drain Blaster 2000 to clear this drain!
    The first few blasts, kicked back at me like I was firing a 12 gauge!!!! Getting the attic even MORE wet!

When it finally went, it left it's mark!

And a 2 inch deep crater in the ground!

Anyway. I'm getting a little tired spending 1/3 of my time going behind new installs!

if you are so sick of it how come you arent over with us yet ,you got our numbers ? at least take a look..

The control wire splices laying in the secondary drain pan is a nice touch also. Suppose with the given pitch of the pan, shouldn't be a major problem.

Why does the drain line terminate below grade? Wouldn't it be better to leave an inch or so above grade so the pipe would not become obstructed by dirt?
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Originally posted by PaysonHVAC

Oh yeah. It took a few tries with the trusty Drain Blaster 2000 to clear this drain!
    The first few blasts, kicked back at me like I was firing a 12 gauge!!!! Getting the attic even MORE wet!
    Glad to see you posting again Payson. I was starting to think you had retired...

Is that really silver tape on the type B vent in the picture? I hope the tape isn't expected to hold up very long. ANd I hope there are screws to lock it together.

How deep is the trap on that variable speed blower air handler? I believe some of the rust is due to spray being pulled back thru the trap. IIRC, the installation instructions call for a minimum 4" deep trap on that unit. Trane had a really good web page at http://www.trane.com/commercial/issues/iaq/fig1b.asp

There is also a drain line missing,
    The plastic fitting where the top of the "A" coil meet should have a hose that directs the condesate water from the upper coil into the horizontal drain pan.
    when all else fails, read the literature.

If I had to do call backs like that, the installers had better be able to run faster than me and anything I would throw.

Since you are so qualified, and pissed at the unqualified workers, why don't you ask for a training position and then you can use your expertise and make sure everyone else at your place of business knows as much as you.

Originally posted by cxagent
    Is that really silver tape on the type B vent in the picture? I hope the tape isn't expected to hold up very long. ANd I hope there are screws to lock it together.
    That isn't B vent, it is single wall, probably a drier vent, so no screws allowed.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Originally posted by teletek
    There is also a drain line missing,
    The plastic fitting where the top of the "A" coil meet should have a hose that directs the condesate water from the upper coil into the horizontal drain pan.
    Is there an echo in here?

I'm glad to see air handlers rusting prematurely in other parts of the country. I was beginning to think we only had that problem.

I did encounter a problem not long ago with the unit retaining water inside the air handler. When the unit shut off, water poured out the cabinet. The emergency drain drained more than the primary. We made a deeper trap, I found the insulation from the blower door was half ripped off and wrapped around the blower motor, the unit out of level, and the same fitting that you had missing...was just laying in the drain pan inside the unit. Problems were addressed and it's 100% better.

Did the installers actually leave that job knowing what they did to the return?

Print those pictures out and post them in the shop.
    Get back to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast