Thread: Carrier Coil leak

Post Likes

Carrier Coil leak

I have a Carrier 3 BXA024 1.5 ton unit that has a leaky coil on the inside unit. It is about 10 years old and my ac guy says he cannot get an r22 coil for it anymore. Is there somewhere I can get a r22 coil that will work in place of the old one? What about a "stop-leak" additive, does that work? Right now they want to replace everything for well more than I have. Any ideas?

Post Likes
    In a perfect world I would recomend changing the whole system, but you should be able to find just a replacement coil and a TXV. You may be giving up a little efficiency. I have never liked the "stop leak" additives. They just gunk up the system. Good luck

Post Likes
    "Stop leak" is junk and doesn't work. You can get a coil. Just buy a 410 coil and install an R22 txv on it. I think there was a post on this the other day. Just realize that the only warranty is on the coil. Not your 10 year old a/c system. If the compressor goes out next month. You will end up spending more than just replacing the thing and moving on.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    This stuff is upsetting to hear..

Someone told my neighbor that there is no more R 22 parts are around and that their entire system needed to be replaced because of a bad contactor on a 6 Year old R 22 unit. He then told them the unit was low on freon and needed about two lbs of freon and was going to charge them 75 a lb.

The guy gave them a price on a new 13 seer Amana system that was outrageous, I said give me 1 hour and I'll have it up and running.

When I got there I noticed a wire was pulled off of the contractor on purpose, all I did was reconnected the wire and started up no problems. I put my gauges on it to see if the freon on was low or not, I was not shocked when everything looked great (No freon was needed).

To answer your question, R 22 units are available again, they are shipping R 22 units empty now, so you will be charged whatever the per lb price your contractor charges, so it can end up being just as much as a new R410a unit because of the freon charge.

As stated above, always look at the warranty VS what you are getting.

Going off of your post I would recommend that you get a new system.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Post Likes
    You should be able to get an exact replacement for your current r-22 coil. But as stated below you would be way better off having a new 410a system installed, especially with the rising costs of r-22. New warranty, new refrigerant, and not to mention the energy savings. I would also recommend not using the same contractor that told you that r-22 coils are not available.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryandaim View Post
    I have a Carrier 3 BXA024 1.5 ton unit that has a leaky coil on the inside unit. It is about 10 years old and my ac guy says he cannot get an r22 coil for it anymore. Is there somewhere I can get a r22 coil that will work in place of the old one? What about a "stop-leak" additive, does that work? Right now they want to replace everything for well more than I have. Any ideas?
    First of all that is NOT a 1.5 ton...its a 2 ton. R22 coils are still available...I haven't had any problem getting them for any brand. But some models have parts that are descontinued.

you might want to consider getting a second OR third opinion on your system.

If you cant afford fixing it you might just let someone charge it back up and plan on changing it out next year
    You're only as good as your customer will allow you to be.........If they want junk, sell them junk, but make your junk look neat!!!

Post Likes
    There's this myth floating around in the industry that some coils are just for R-410A. That's not true. Most, if not all of the R-410A coils are dual rated for R-22. However, such is not the case with R-22 coils as they operate at a considerably lower pressure and are therefore tested to a lower pressure. But other than the TXV, if one is installed, needing to be for R-22, otherwise the coils are the same. If the system uses a piston, there should be no problem at all getting the proper coil for the unit. And even if it needs a TXV coil, it should be available.

And no, there is no problem getting repair parts for R-22 systems and there is no law that says you can't repair them. On the contrary, the laws specifically state the repairs CAN be made to R-22 systems. Hence the proliferation of outdoor units built for R-22 but shipped with dry nitrogen within them rather than refrigerant. They can legally be installed as replacement for existing units.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Bumfuzzled.

It's not dishonest to Bumfuzzle a Customer... Just Wrong. If the system is repairable, I'll fix it. If I say it's DEAD, it's Dead.

You can all Carrier yourself.
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in