Armstrong Furnace

Hmm

Looking into buying a Enhanced Armstrong 93% 2 stage furnance for my house, never seen one or work on one, good furnace or should I wait?

Good furnace, we've sold a few. One big drawback: low fire is 80% of high fire. May be hard to tell the diff between low & high. Most brands are 70% on low with A-S & Trane being 60% which is very noticable.

I have one

and i love it.Do get the variable speed fan. It is hardly noticeable in low fire. Mine rarely goes into high fire during the winter. Just on the coldest days. gas bills are low. I just have routine maitenance every 2 years. I change my filters monthly and i vacuum the furnace insides every 6 months. I did get a 10 yr. parts and labor warranty (insurance against costly repairs). Take a look at the rheem modulator, thats what i plan on using to replace the 30 yr. old lennox on the other side of the house. Good luck with your purchase.

Not sure I want to go the extra exspence for the varible speed. I was not sure on the reliablity of the furn. conpared to most?

We've had good results from Armstrong furnaces. The first 93 models (A) units had White-Rodgers controls like the old Tranes. They ran 70% on low. The new B units have all Honeywell and they are the ones that do 80% on low. Simple 120v Norton mini ignitor.

Now dont the Carriers two stage units run down as low as 50% on low fire or am I wrong about that?

80% on low fire am I going to see enough savings to justify the cost.

i would reccomend the variable speed. i have worked on them and when they run, i can barely hear the trane start up b/c it goes very slow, and very quiet!

The only unit going below 60% is Rheem's Modulator which stars at an incredible 40%.

You don't get energy savings from 2 stage equipment, you get the comfort of longer, gentle cycles on low fire.

true true, but i would think that if youre only heating 1-2*F then you only need 1st stage. if your dont need to floor your car to get from 25 to 30 then why do it?