Thread: Register Temp

I have a question for the experts. I have a 2 year old Goodman 3 ton system. New A-coil and new outside unit. The system works fine, but the temp at all the registers are about 60-62 degrees. The system runs all day and night long. The house never gets below 80 degrees. 1200 sq. ft. home. The head pressure was very high, 280 - 300 I think. Coils are clean, could it be that it is over charged? The installer said that it took a lot of freon.

Originally posted by lidoggie
    I have a question for the experts. I have a 2 year old Goodman 3 ton system. New A-coil and new outside unit. The system works fine, but the temp at all the registers are about 60-62 degrees. The system runs all day and night long. The house never gets below 80 degrees. 1200 sq. ft. home. The head pressure was very high, 280 - 300 I think. Coils are clean, could it be that it is over charged? The installer said that it took a lot of freon.
    Model # air handler

Model# Outdoor unit

Did the installer use piston that came with condenser?

NON-condensables or other contamination of system.

You're best bet is get another service tech, The unit is probably way oversized, and in an effort to bring the suction pressure up above freezing the guy just kept dumping refrigerant in. Your problem or root of the problem is probably airflow and low load conditions which is not going to be resolved by simply adjusting the charge.

lidoggie,keep us informed on this one.
    The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them,Albert Einstein.Stop,Think,and Act!Find the PROBLEM before ever considering the SOLUTION,Carey Collins. What would Chesty Puller do?

3 tons on 1200 sq' sounds excessive. If unit is running as per spec it should be an igloo in that house. I agree that airflow would be a big concern in a situation like yours. What is the capacity of the air handler and what size ductwork and outlets are coming off of it?
    "Go big or Go Home"

Originally posted by lidoggie
    I have a question for the experts. I have a 2 year old Goodman 3 ton system. New A-coil and new outside unit. The system works fine, but the temp at all the registers are about 60-62 degrees.
    =======================
    At an 80 degree return 60 to 62 discharge air, that would be a 20 to 18 degree drop which should be adequate to pull the conditioned space temperature down to 76-F, or so. I suspect Hot air entering the return air to the cooling coil from outside or hot attic air sources. - udarrell

=====================
    The system runs all day and night long. The house never gets below 80 degrees. 1200 sq. ft. home. The head pressure was very high, 280 - 300 I think. Coils are clean, could it be that it is over charged? The installer said that it took a lot of freon.
    Too reiterate, the Return Air could be pulling HOT air from the attic into the evaporator coil. That would explain the high head pressures and continuous runtime without pulling the temp down. Check and seal all ductwork!

Take the temperature of the air entering the outside condenser and the discharge air temperature. If the split is too high, the heatload may not just be coming from the conditioned space.

What is the Relative Humidity ? Get a hygrometer that provides you with the RH.

http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...city-seer.html

I agree with the previous post. Find the source of the heat. I would start with checking out the return air duct. Check around the tap at the plenum to make sure its sealed. If the problem persist you might want to consider "Duct Blasting" to determine the quality of your duct installation.

what is duct blasting??

Duct Blasting

Here is a link explaining "Duct Blasting".

http://www.dring.com/features/aeroseal.asp