Thread: scrap copper

Cool

anyone out there save the cuttings, leftovers and scrap copper out there and turn it in for $ ?

it's a lot of work but can be worth it.
    Here's your sign...

I have people that pick up all my metal

they dont charge me and are happy to have it so I let them have it all

figure its a good way to keep them happy and sure beats the price of tin

Every year for the last 20 we have a scrap party. This was always a big clambake with steak, lobster, shrimp etc. Everyone pitched in but still it was a lot of work.

We all take chances and guess on the total weight of the scrap that is weighted at the yard. The winner gets his name on the "copper trophy"

This year we have a new vice president so things are different. This year we are having a golf tornement at the country club. Catered steakbake after a round of golf.

We have a lot of copper this year. We had a job to convert an old supermarket into a retail store. We ripped out miles of copper. FORE.

I just throw the scraps in a garbage can for it. I collect it for a year or so and when the price is high I take it to reclaim center . As far as galvinized, if its not worth running through the triplex for s and drives it goes in the trash.

What's scrap copper and aluminum going for these days?

boy I wouldnt even guess right now its been a while sense Ive checked, sounded like someone said it was high right now but I dont have enough to justify it now. Oh if you havnt taken it in before cut any soldered joints out no matter if its plumbing pipe or refrigerant tubing. It pays a lot more being #1 copper.

I just turned in my scrap linesets and copper was up to 1.15 a pound here in Michigan. I save all the scrap A coils and condenser and get .45 a pound its nice cause its like getting a bonus. But I have to trip over it all summer waiting to cash it in.

We have a garbage can in the shop that we throw our scrap copper in. Typically we only have short pieces a couple feet or less in length (unless I kink it lol).

I think they took it in a few weeks ago (was a 30 gal can about half full) and got 1.20 a lb for it.

Either that or you can just bid every job for a 50' lineset and you'll really build up the scrap fast ;-)

Larry & Jimmy come and get all of it. They give us $5 per outdoor unit. Leave the place spotless when done.

A co-workers brother is a plumber and he takes his copper "MONGO" in once a year to the recyclers. Last years total was rumored to me to be (drum roll please)...
    $14,000 worth. HooWee, it must have been a dump truck load. It's a rather large number to believe but he does have a fairly large shop and dump areas around it.

...Ron

When scrap metal prices were cheap I couldn't aford to waste time or energy on it so a scrap guy would come on a weekly basis and keep things cleaned up. Now that the scrap prices are up there seems to be MORE than enough scrappers pestering me for it. Only now they are more than happy to pick it up and split the cash in price.

I ONCE told an employee who asked if he could scrap the stuff after hrs. Sure why not...
    I learned why not, a gross load of sawzall blades gone and the piles strung out . On the weekend I got a call and asked if he could "borrow" one of the trucks to cash in the scrap. Turned out it cost me umpteen $3 blades and trk fuel to boot for his money making venture.

Wouldn't have been so bad but it really hit a nerve when the same guy announces "we're running really low on saw blades, gonna need more to get through the job."
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

I'll bet a million pounds of copper was thrown in the dump here in Cayman in the past year. What a waste.

a million pounds of copper in the dump! i know people that would cry if they knew that.

right now our price here for no. 1 copper is $1.50 a pound.
    Here's your sign...