+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MP-581 and Tridium AX

Post Likes

MP-581 and Tridium AX

I'm having some problems with a Trane MP581's lon communication with a JACE. For some reason, I keep getting send failures when I try to upload or quik learn it. The points are constantly cycling between fault and ok. The device never goes yellow and shows down, but in a verify report, it says the device is not communicating.

My workbench and the JACE match as far as modules go, so I've ruled out some type of issue from that.

I've checked the whole lon bus, and this field bus is as close to emaculate as you can get so I'm really leaning away from it being a physical network issue.

There are 22 devices on this network and this one particular controller is the only problem child. 3 of those 22 devices are MP581's with the exact setup as the one in question.

Has anyone had a similar issue they were able to work through?

Post Likes
    Was the MP already on another LON system and you are trying to learn the bindings? If the MP was bound to another device that is not in your database,(i.e. BCU) the quick learn will fail. If not try commisioning it again. Try installing the the trane lonworks jar file on your JACE and workbench if you have not already. If all else fails, delete the object from your database and start over.
    You can easily judge the character of a man
    by how he treats those who can do nothing for him
    -James D. Miles

Post Likes
    Flash the MP580 to the latest firmware, 4.0.8 or 4.0.9 cant remember which is newest.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
    Flash the MP580 to the latest firmware, 4.0.8 or 4.0.9 cant remember which is newest.
    Your assuming he has Rover and knows how to use it. If ControlY0urMind has Rover, he will need to upload all of the programs out of the contoller. The last time I upgraded a controller to the latest firmware it scrambled the program. I was glad I made a backup of all the programs in the unit.
    You can easily judge the character of a man
    by how he treats those who can do nothing for him
    -James D. Miles

Post Likes
    Thanks fellas. Yeah I have Rover and am experienced with it, I just wanted to rule out anything with Tridium first. I'll check out the firmware version and see what its looking like.

Preciate it.

Post Likes
    I've never had issues like exactly like your talking about with any version of MP firmware yet but have noticed if you strip out some of the super long UNVTs out of the dynamic device it helps some with some of the errors you see in the console. There have also been a couple version of the Jace lon driver that I had to roll back to a previous version to get it to commision a 580. Haven't noticed tjat problem with 3.5.24 but can't say for certain about 3.5.25 or 3.5.34 as I havn't used that builds with a 580. I assume you are using some flavor of 3.5. From what I've seen in the past I wouldn't rule out AX as of yet but updating the firmware in the 580 is a direction to go that won't hurt you.
    It took actually learning something to realize how much I had to learn.

Post Likes
    Upon further investigation, I have found on the remote display for the controller in question that it shows as "unconfigured". I'm pretty certain this is my problem. This particular customer's standard is that no devices are commissioned in Tridium, so I have simply discovered and added all of the devices and unfortunately, this particular JACE is running 3.3.

I'm going to get one of their techs to take care of it on the Trane side to get it back to a configured state and hopefully that will clear it up.

Thanks for all of the advice fellas, I appreciate it.

Post Likes
    Did you make the LonNetwork in your jace "Always in zero length domain"?

Post Likes
    I'm think 3.3 was the version I had issues wih. It was the first release that had the always zero length domain feature. If 3.3 was the release with that feature I had to roll it back to 3.2

Post Likes
    I'll have to look but I'm pretty sure the Lon network is at a 0 length. I have 3 other MP581s on that network that show data perfectly and have no problems at all.

Post Likes
    If you do not have "Always in zero length domain" enabled you will not be able to see the MP581 in rover after you bring it into Niagara, now I do not know if having it disabled will cause issues with quick learn because I have never tried to quick learn one with it disabled but I know I have successfully done quick learn with it enabled so if it is not enabled you might want to try that. On a side note I have been successful in discovering a MP581 or any other Trane device without zero length domain enabled but was not able to see them in rover afterwards.

Post Likes
    Sorry Control, we must have posted at the same time...

Post Likes
    When I was talking about the zero length domain feature I meant the first build of Tridium that had that feature had an issue with MP580's. To get around that issue I had to roll back my lon driver to the previous release of Tridium. Nothing to do with the discovering in Rover.

Rover can be set to discover on any domain and has been like that for a couple years.

Post Likes
    FWIW I was just reading this post and had the same issue.

I have a Blue Board MP pulled into a JACE 8000 and as soon as I commissioned, I could no longer discover anything in Rover (even non-Trane devices).

I was able to go into Tools -> Options -> Advanced and change the Domain Length to "1" and set the Domain ID (hex) to "01". Once Rover saved this and rebooted, it was able to discover all of the devices on the network just fine.

Just to help those who might have this issue in the future.

15. Likes bigguy158 liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in