Need some advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There is much more to a proper load calculation than just interior measurements and square footage. HVAC-calc is a very good program that has been succsessfully used by many homeowners who have visited this site. You should consider trying it.
    Dogs truly are man's best friend!!

I live in a sub-division of houses (40) that were all built within about a 2 year period. I walked my dog tonight and asked as many neighbors as I could about the tonnage of their units. They ranged from 2.5 to 3.5. The sqft in the homes varies only slightly from 2100 to 2300 sqft. I am convinced I should have the calculation done. One neighbor told me that the electric company (FPL) will come out to your house and do an energy survey for $30. I am going to make an appointment tommorrow. I'm hoping this survey will include a load calculation. I want to take this one step at a time and do it right. Any advice on what to do next after I receive my load calculation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The 3 ton may be the correct size,but if your insulation in the attic is only R9,going to R30,and doing the calculation might get down to 2.5 tons.Something to consider.

Did you call Total Comfort or Weather Engineers,both great companies in that area.

Total Comfort is coming out Saturday at 1:00. They were recommended to me by a local building contractor.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Did you tell thm you want a load calculation,when you called?

Save your $30. In our area(Ocala), progress energy will do this survey for free, but it won't have a load calc.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Originally posted by dash
    Did you tell thm you want a load calculation,when you called?
    I spoke with someone in their office that schedules the estimates. I did request a load calculation. Their representative said that was all part of the estimation process and then asked if I had the building plans?? I explained that I did not,and was told they would be able to give me a pretty good estimation. I'm not sure what that means exactly but I'm hoping it's a manual J.

Originally posted by smokin68
    Save your $30. In our area(Ocala), progress energy will do this survey for free, but it won't have a load calc.
    I just got off the phone with FPL, their survey is two parts. The first part is free, the second part the depressurize your house (Not sure what that means) and check your duct work for leaks, check all the windows and doors for leaks as well. Also the check the roof and the insulation. They write recommendations and give you a list of contractors with rebates. I figured for $30.00 it couldn't hurt.

Originally posted by junior1964
    I'm hoping it's a manual J.
    They won't be able to do a detailed heat gain calculation without measuring the house room layout, direction of orientation of each wall, windows, doors, window glass type, insulation, shading from overhangs, etc.

Any competent contractor should be willing to do a full "Manual J" calculation prior to and as part of an installation contract. Keep looking until you find a contractor who will do this.

Originally posted by travisfl
    Originally posted by junior1964
    I'm hoping it's a manual J.
    They won't be able to do a detailed heat gain calculation without measuring the house room layout, direction of orientation of each wall, windows, doors, window glass type, insulation, shading from overhangs, etc.

Any competent contractor should be willing to do a full "Manual J" calculation prior to and as part of an installation contract. Keep looking until you find a contractor who will do this.
    Thank you. That is my plan. I'm not even going to consider any contractor that will not do the load calculation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12