Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I live in Daytona Beach. I'm trying to get a load calculation done on my house. Every company I call asks me for the Building plans for my house. Is this a requirement? My understanding is that they should come to my house, take the indoor measurements and using software be able to recommend the tonnage required for my home. Also is there any real cooling benefit to purchasing a variable speed unit. Thanks!!

They want to do the calc off the as-built plans. You're right......they should come and measure your house, and make sure no additions/subtractions have been done.Also check out the existing system. when you find the company that will come out, you most likely have a winner.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

A good HVAC contractor should be able to come to your home and get the necessary measurements to do a manual J load calc. I always provide this with the proposal.

Depending on your floor plan, a variable speed system can be an excellent choice in controlling humidity and stratofication.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Thanks. My house is an L shaped ranch. No Basement(Florida). I have almost 2300 sqft. I currently have a 3 ton heat pump system (Rheem). It's 10 yrs old and I'm sure has lost a great deal of it's effciency. I've had 4 qoute so far but no one will do a load calculation. I think I'm going to take the advice from the previous post and only consider qoutes from company's that will do the calculation. If I can find one. Can I hire someone to do the calculation??

Originally posted by junior1964
    Can I hire someone to do the calculation??
    You can always do it yourself.

http://hvaccomputer.com/talkref.asp

Thank you, if I can't get someone to come out. I'll will give this a try. I would just hate to screw it up.

Sketch up your house plans
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

If the 3 ton has worked well in the past, i'd go with another 3 ton. Load calculation is not an exact science.

Originally posted by bigtime
    If the 3 ton has worked well in the past, i'd go with another 3 ton. Load calculation is not an exact science.
    Your kidding right?
    Dogs truly are man's best friend!!

Not kidding. He said he had a 2300 ft2 house in florida. If the 3 ton has kept the house comfortable it is not to small. I dont think 3 ton is to big. Just right.

Load calculations are very critical..always start there

To many things could have changed, (as far as the load requirements go), over the life of that system. If your not performing a load calculation, your just guessing.

[Edited by lonnirat on 08-25-2005 at 06:56 PM]
    Dogs truly are man's best friend!!

I have read this forum for a few weeks before registering. The consensus seems to be that a load calculation is a good starting point. I am going to try and get somebody to do one for me. I am willing to pay someone to do it, but I have called 6 different HVAC local company's and they all asked for the Building Plans, I don't have them. I can measure the inside of the house myself if that's all that is required. Is there more involved in a load calculation than just the interior measurements of the home???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast