I WOULD LIKE SOME OPINIONS ON CHOOSING A NEW HEAT PUMP.

INFO:
    KW RATE: .13 1ST 600 AND .06 AFTER THAT
    BRAND: AMERICAN STANDARD HERITAGE
    SIZE: 2 TON WITH VS AIR HANDLER
    SQ FT: 900-1000

WE ARE CONSIDERING THE 14 W/A RECIP. COMPRESSOR OR THE 2 STEP 16 W/A 2 STEP SCROLL COMPRESSOR. WE ARE MOSTLY CONCERNED ABOUT THE HSPF PORTION SINCE WE USE A/C ON ONLY THE HOTTEST DAYS.

IS THE 16 2-STEP WORTH THE EXTRA EXPENSE OVER THE 14?

I HAVE MADE MANY CALLS AND CAN'T GET A CLEAR ANSWER IF THE 2 STEP COMPRESSOR IS BENEFICIAL IN THE HEATING MODE, EVERY THING TALKS ABOUT HUMIDITY CONTROL. SOME SITES STATE THAT THE SCROLL COMP. IS BETTER FOR COLDER CLIMATES.

I ALSO DISCOVERD THAT THE (UPTO)HSPF ON THE BROCHURES/WEB CAN NOT BE OBTAINED IN A 2 TON UNIT. THE BEST I WOULD BE LOOKING AT ABOUT 8.3-8.5. IS THIS TRUE OR WAS THE CUSTOMER SERVICE REP INCORRECT?

ONE OTHER QUESTION. THE QUOTE I GET ARE VERY VAGUE. THE LIST NO MODEL NUMBER, INFO ON WHO GET PERMIT ETC. I AM LUCKY IF I CAN EVEN GET A CONTRACTOR TO CALL BACK. IS THIS THE WAY A QUOTE SHOULD BE?
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Friend of mine put in that heat pump. Or rather I did Even getting a special price on the equipment being an American-Standard dealer, 16 SEER had a huge pricetag. NO economic payback. Could be some comfort payback of the 2 stage but if you don't use cooling much, not worth it.

Personally I'd prefer a scroll over a recip in a heat pump too. I find you get warmer air in cold weather.

In our area, if all the better hspf your going to get is 8.5, check into lower seer units that might have the same or better hspf rating, and save your self some money.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

That 16 SEER two stage Copeland setup is great in any brand, and just about all brands use that technology now.

Sized properly, that system will have a decent payback because you will be using the lower stage most of the time.

I am assuming that A/S uses a varible speed indoor blower with that system.

Exactly where in PA are you? Sounds like you are in my neck of the woods which is Lancaster County.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

We are in Kennett Square West Chester area, and with PECO and the rate FREEZE off next year you really might want to buy the best you can afford. Big rebates now make the jump up alittle easier!!!!Call me 610-636-2259
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    What is increased comfort worth to you?The two stage variable will deliver it.

figure it will last 15 years,divide the extra cost by by the years/days ,and it's not a lot per day,less than a cup of starbucks for sure.I'd give up somethig,for the comfort,how about you??

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT. I AM STILL FAR FROM BOTH OF YOU. I AM LOWER BUCKS COUNTY. I APPEARS THE CONCENSUS IS THAT IT IS WORTH THE MONEY IN COMFORT NOT ECONOMICALLY.

If your staying with the cost of power and the comfort I woul recommend buying the 2 stage stuff YDB INFINITY IS NICE,VARIABLE SPEED INDOOR AT LEAST!!!!!PURON
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!