Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I wouldn't put it in a car, or my heating oil tank, it could go boom.

It can be seperated for a slight fee.

So make that 6 NO's.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Use it

I have added old gas to heating oil in my own tank with no problems. I do not add a lot of gas - maybe 10 gallons or so of gas to 100 gallons fuel. I make sure the ignition system on the burner is good so the fuel ignites immediately and doesn't build up into a fuel charge.

As for the mix seperating into two fuels, they are both hydro-carbons. Gas and 2-cycle oil stays mixed - why wouldn't fuel oil and gas? Fuels are a mix of many hydro-carbons just as is gas. I don’t believe they will separate in the amount of time it would take to use it. I would not use the mixture of gas & fuel oil in a customers tank.

If you are still worried, bring the mixture to me – I will use it. With fuel oil going for over $2.00 per gallon, I'll make it work at my house.

If it were me I'd use it too.

Personally I'd just add 1/4 of what you have to a full tank (ok, ok, 3/4 of a tank) of pure fuel oil. Might take a while to get rid of, but dillouted that much I really can't see how it'd damage anything.

You could put it in your car.... nothing would happen, because your car wouldn't run.

Make that another no! Yes even though they are both hydrocarbons they have different densities and could separate under certain conditions, this is not the same as 2 cycle oil and gas as the 2 cycle oil has emulsifiers added to help keep it mixed. Also you can't guarantee that you will never have a delayed ignition while trying to burn this stuff Gasoline in most areas also contains either ethanol or methanol, up to 10%, the alchohols can and will seperate out of the fuel oil. What you actually have now is dirty jet fuel. Jet fuel is a mixture of clear kerosene and gasoline. Call your town to see if they will accept the drum during their hazardous waste collection. They may accept it if you have the proper labels and shipping papers, your states environmental department can provide you with these. We can get rid of a 55 gallon drum of hazardous waste for under $300. Fuels and oils are not hazardous waste and cost less to land fill. Also a place with a waste oil burner may be able to use it, just let them know that there is up to 5% gasoline mixed with it.

Re: Use it

Originally posted by thefurnaceman
    I have added old gas to heating oil in my own tank with no problems. I do not add a lot of gas - maybe 10 gallons or so of gas to 100 gallons fuel. I make sure the ignition system on the burner is good so the fuel ignites immediately and doesn't build up into a fuel charge.

As for the mix seperating into two fuels, they are both hydro-carbons. Gas and 2-cycle oil stays mixed - why wouldn't fuel oil and gas? Fuels are a mix of many hydro-carbons just as is gas. I don’t believe they will separate in the amount of time it would take to use it. I would not use the mixture of gas & fuel oil in a customers tank.

If you are still worried, bring the mixture to me – I will use it. With fuel oil going for over $2.00 per gallon, I'll make it work at my house.
    Just wondering why you would add gas to fuel oil. Some kind of treatment? clean's the furnace?

No-No-No-No-No!!!!! Explosive!! The only yes's would be from people that would want to buy your house cheap at a later date.
    captain CO

Unhappy

it was added by mistake, hence the UserName.

it might go good with gin.

Either add it in small quantities to the fuel oil tank (say 10 gallons per full 265 gal fillup) in this dilution it will not go boom and it will burn just fine) some years ago one of my employees mistakingly added about 4 gallons of gas to my fuel oil tank... tank was low so I ordered and got about 240 gallons, It mixed just fine and I had no adverse effects.. for all I know it helped clean my tank inners a bit! The trick here is to make a dilution that will adequatly weaken the GAS.
    AJS

Always tell the truth and you never have to remember what you! said!

Make sure you're life insurance is paid up,and get the wife and kids outta the house first

Apparently no other replier here has an old tractor or Diesel VW Rabbit.

If you are in Seattle area, I'll come pick it up, no charge.
    It will run just fine in my JD440 3 cyl GM diesel loader or in my old Ford tractor. JD actually used marketing claims for the old 2 cyl 'poppin' Johnny' engine that it would run on anything from kerosene to aviation gas. In '74, I ran 50/50 gas/#2 mix in my old 1300 CC Datsun truck, smoked some, but ran at 30 mpg and avoided the gas station lines.

Talk to any farmer with an old tractor in your area, bet they would be happy to take it.

thanks for those ideas junkhound, ill check around the central mass. farm community. im a long way from seattle, but if you feel like a long tractor ride, come on over.

With that small amount of gas you can blend that in at tank fill ups and you won't harm a thing. In fact, if you didn't know it was there, you couldn't tell the difference. No problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12