+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fixing a CHAINSAW CHARLIE spagetti incident!

Post Likes

Fixing a CHAINSAW CHARLIE spagetti incident!

It's been a while since I've done an install.
    This Saturday I installed a system for someone at work.

They'd always had air flow problems and of course complained about the noisy GOODMAN sitting outside their bedroom wall.

Obviously the Air handler has leaked condensate for some time.
    Check out the p-trap. It's at a downward angle, rendering the trap useless.
    To the upper right of the photo is a flex duct that is pulled through the upper trusses then down and twisted into the side of the supply plenum. Making a S shaped KINK in the flex!

The kinked flex duct and sags everywhere like this don't help.

I installed a new Am Standard. 13 SEER HP with an upgraded 4TEE Variable Speed Blower along with fixing the sags and kinks in the flex duct that Chainsaw Charlie installed like Spagetti in the attic!

One thing I did that most Arizona installers/companies don't do is spend the extra bit of time and effort to move the line set to the other side of the condenser so the access panel isn't up against the wall.
    Those companies I used to work for would install this unit like the old one was to be in and out faster. But that puts the access to the filter, OD TXV and RV to the wall in a situation like this!

Take note that my condensate has a CLEAN OUT tee before the trap. :-)

The one long run used to make a S shaped kink through the upper truss and down into the front side of the plenum. Dumb.

I rerouted the flex duct to the new supply plenum with the kinks removed and both long runs come out of the end. Bathroom comes out the top, other close run out the back. Removed sags in the attic by adding strap.
    Air flow is much better.

It's been over 10 years since I've done an install. This took me all day. But I sure as heck wasn't going to install a new system back the way the other one was. No way. leave that for the typical Arizona HVAC contractors!

Post Likes
    good to see your standards are still high
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Looks good

You need to start using overflow switches on your coils and pans.

Here is what we use.

http://www.airtecproducts.com/smarttrap_main.asp
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    Thanks.

I guess if I installed all the time I could use the swtches.

I have a job on site now doing refer and electronic stuff, etc.

This was installing a system for a coworker. Othwise besides the special job in Cali last yr where I installed 3 16 seer units in "grow rooms" this was the only install in years.

Post Likes

Talking

Hi shawn how are you you allways do good work.
    only fault i find is the out side outlet looks like its falling out of the box
    and thanks to youre old iron maden video i think of youre getting ready video when i hear run for the hills and thats played alot on my music choise digital radio

Quote Originally Posted by PaysonHVAC View Post
    Thanks.

I guess if I installed all the time I could use the swtches.

I have a job on site now doing refer and electronic stuff, etc.

This was installing a system for a coworker. Othwise besides the special job in Cali last yr where I installed 3 16 seer units in "grow rooms" this was the only install in years.

Post Likes
    That attic must have sucked. Did you have to remove all the wood trim from the access hole. Just to get it up there? Or did you fold the cabinet up.

Post Likes

attic

I dont see how anyone could work in the kinda space .....
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

Post Likes
    that attic actually has a little room.

Post Likes
    Shawn, Why didnt you install a R/A plenum? But other than that it looked okay.... lol
    The BITTERNESS of POOR QUALITY remains long after the SWEETNESS of LOW PRICE is FORGOTTEN.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tranedog View Post
    Shawn, Why didnt you install a R/A plenum?
    He didn't have any "room" for it.

Post Likes
    Nice work. I'm sure your co-worker appreciated it. I've seen all kinds of crazy installs by gypsy contractors down here in the valley on the controls side in the last 30yrs and worse by homeowners and Property Management facilities guys.
    Like they say, there's never enought time to do it right the first time but there's always plenty of time to re-do it.
    A few years ago I was in Payson to evaluate one of the "Special Systems" on a campus and could not believe what I saw inside some junction boxes. Yikes.
    DG

Post Likes
    good to see apost from ya payson--- why????? do you run the flex out of the front of the box?? a no no in my world unless it is the only flex- kills air flow for ducts off the side of the box NO? other than that great job!!!!!!!!! picked up a customer the other day just moved here from Ariz.. hope they like the humdity here
    It is what it is unless I say differently !!!!

Post Likes
    I hate people who nit-pic so I'll keep my mouth shut

Post Likes
    Why did you install a B-model heat pump with a premium AHU? Also what is that silver foil crap on the line set?

Did you use mastic on all of your connections inside like plenum to AHU? Oh… and the pan looks like it’s NOT quite big enough. Just sayin!

Post Likes
    Hey Payson good to see you still come around. Hope all is well. I was just thinking about your funny videos the other day with the telemarketers and stuff. You got to put them back up! lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Allen View Post
    I hate people who nit-pic so I'll keep my mouth shut
    I hate quotin back at regular guest, too
    allen he put it out there for comments
    It is what it is unless I say differently !!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by koldair View Post
    Why did you install a B-model heat pump with a premium AHU? Also what is that silver foil crap on the line set?

Did you use mastic on all of your connections inside like plenum to AHU? Oh… and the pan looks like it’s NOT quite big enough. Just sayin!
    that's not a b model it's a American standard same as xr just different color and the pan looks short to me also

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    that's not a b model it's a American standard same as xr just different color and the pan looks short to me also
    It is a base model, same as Trane's XB line. http://www.americanstandardair.com/p...aspx?prod=hp06. The Heritage (now called "Gold" in the AS line) is the equivalent to Trane's XR line.

Install looks good to me. I also don't like the foil tape on the outdoor lineset, but that's one small thing -- it is a very nice improvement and the inside looks much better. Good job.

Post Likes
    Good job! You corrected a lot of deficiencies. I wish more installs were done with as much thought.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in