Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PURON or R@@

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Not that I'm aware of.Most all have gone to R410a/Puron,and a couple of years ago many would have told you that wasn't going to happen,but it did.

With what the mfrs have invested in Puron/R410a ,I see no way there will be a viable alternative.IMHO

Dash I'm in Tampa actually new port richey Carrier does seem to have a great warranty but you pay more . if I understand the comments posted on this site then a goodman system if installed properly should provide the comfort of the more expensive units. But how does the HO know if the system is being installed properly???

george, i share a bit of my experience..... 30+ year house.
    I learned to see how a properly installed "system" that gets attached to a homes ductwork sometimes doesnt perform as well as one might think it should.
    I had new carrier puron heat pump, vs air handler, plenum installed. The system was installed properly in my opinion. However, the "balancing" of how the air was being distributed to the various registers was resulting in some rooms hotter than others in cooling mode. Also, leaky duct work was alowing some small percentage of cold air to escape in the attic. That escaping cooled air in the attic had to be replaced in the house thru outside air leaking into the house. That meant control of the inside humidity suffered. Also the attic duct works needed insulation.
    A month or so later, I paid to have my ducting sealed( mastic) and insulated. Had the air system "balanced" with vanes in ductwork. Worth the money spent.
    Just understand, a properly installed "system" married to an ailing distribution "system" might not work as well as the owner thinks it should. If you have a contractor who will evaluate everything and advise you, pay attention !
    good luck.

[Edited by me75006 on 08-27-2005 at 08:30 AM]

Originally posted by george9903
    Dash I'm in Tampa actually new port richey Carrier does seem to have a great warranty but you pay more . if I understand the comments posted on this site then a goodman system if installed properly should provide the comfort of the more expensive units. But how does the HO know if the system is being installed properly???
    Well you are in our area, so we could do the work,that's one way!LOL

Seriously,there are a lot of factors to consider that the homeowner has little or no way of checking.

We have NATE certified techs and some NCI certified techs and "things" still don't get handled perfectly every time.We do take care of any issues,with any installation,but we don't always know about them.

NCI, http://www.nationalcomfortinstitute.com ,trained techs or the equivelent can perfromance test the installation,and find solutions ,before or after the work is done.Now,we find few consumers that want to pay for this service,Unless they Know they have a problem.

Despite the majority of the posts on this site there are differences ,to some extent, between brands,IMHO.Take a look at your post above,Goodman,nor any brand/model,without a variable speed indoor fan ,two stage compressor,and a great controls setup,can perfrom as well as "Any" system that has all of that.

But then a "standard" system,brand versus brand,they are about the same,except for the design and installation.So that should be part of the decission making process,but most consumers ,don't do enough research to get that far.

So what you need ,to get the most for your money,is:

1.Have a load calculation done,to insure the correct size system.But also have ,a calculation run,with possible low cost upgrades included,such as added attic insulation ,if yours is less than R26/30.On a 1500 sq. ft. home ,in your area,going from R11 to R30,will reduce the size by 1/2 ton.

2.Have the duct system evaluated.Most are too small,in your area,if you want to add a 4/5" media filter,they almost always ,need modification.Now if the added attic insulation,in number 1 reduced the equipment size,the ducts may be fine,as the cfm needed will be lower.

3.Using the info. from 1 and 2 ,they can veriy the duct are okay,or redesign the duct system.

4.You now need to decide how much efficiency and comfort ,versus "first" ,that you want.Now 12SEER is 12 SEER ,but one may have a variable speed indoor fan and dehumidification controls,and the other is a standard PSC motor and controls.In theorey they will cost the same to operate,but the VS one will provide more indoor comfort than most consumers have ever experienced.

Add a two stage compressor,more first cost,but more comfort.
    In your case,a 23 year old system ,replaced by a high SEER heat pump,can save enough electricity,to help make the monthly payments if you needed to finance part of it.

5.So now,after testing,designing and your selection of ,the comfort system that suits your needs,you need a great installation.Correct line set sizes,proper brazing ,and evacuation,new liquid line drier,proper condensate trap,corect breaker size,etc.,etc..

6.Post test,of static pressure,and setup of fan speed,any controls involved,etc.,etc..

This what needs to done,now how you will be able to tell if it's all done correctly,is another thing.Sorry ,as that is your ,question,but the answer is ,do the best you can,with the info.,you have,oh and don't decide on "first cost" alone.

The fact that your on this site,puts you in a better position than most.For all of the above to happen,you'll need to ask for it,do it upfront before an appointment,so as not to waste your time or theirs.My guess is most can't or won't be interested in providing all of the above,so be prepared to make a few calls.

Dash what is IMHO?? Your company has been to my house I will contact you on Monday to discuss thanks for all your input

IMHO,is In My Humble Opinion,used in hope of avoiding the "wrath" ,of those who my differ.LOL

hugodrax Guest
    ITs all the same thing, as long as you get a 10year warranty who cares about the gas.

Originally posted by hugodrax
    ITs all the same thing, as long as you get a 10year warranty who cares about the gas.

Hugo,You have been here long enough to know it's not gas ,it's refrigerant!LOL!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12