Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PURON or R@@

Need to replace my 23 year old Trane heat pump should I stay with R22 or switch to the Carrier puron

Senior Tech Guest
    Carrier Puron is actually R410A..."Puron" is just the name Carrier uses. In my opinion it really doesn't matter, don't shop the refrigerant, shop for a quality company that doe's quality installation.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Puron is R410a, check it out on http://www.410a.com

Many brands now have it ,Carrier was the leader,which is what I prefer,but I'd go with it regardless of brand.Check out the Carrier Infinity System while you are shopping.

I'm alittle concerned about the R22 since it is being eliminated over the 10 years but have also heard that puron is not yet time tested like the R22. thanks for your input
    I have talked to 5 companies over the last few weeks and am not satisfied with any for quality. Not one offered to do a check of my system only looked at size and then quoted an exact size replacement and of course they all recommend there equipment and the other guys stuff is all junk.

the Carrier Infinity System is out of my price range even with the upcoming rebate of $1200 the cost will be around
    $6800. the Performance Series is closer to my price range I think with the rebate it will cost about $5700. American Standard quote a R22 system for $5200 and said stay away from there own R410a. the low bid was a goodman for $3100.

If any of you saw what happened to R12, R22 will do the same thing. Sky rocket in price for a few years and then companies will come out with all different kinds of alternatives. The problem is there are always disadvantages to these alternatives, such as; higher head pressure, oil flow problems, and lack of performance. I would stick with Puron as the price will drop per pound as it becomes more popular.

The only problem I see with puron is the condesor coils. They do not appear any thicker than the R22 coils like the manufactures say. Time will tell though.

Thousands installed here since the late 1990's,it here to say,no issues if thejob is done right.

Try a price on the Infinty Control,with out the two speed outdoor unit,still has a lot of great features.

George, thanks for the detailed info but please don't post pricing here. Check out the rules of the site.

"The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

Originally posted by george9903
    I'm alittle concerned about the R22 since it is being eliminated over the 10 years but have also heard that puron is not yet time tested like the R22. thanks for your input
    I have talked to 5 companies over the last few weeks and am not satisfied with any for quality. Not one offered to do a check of my system only looked at size and then quoted an exact size replacement and of course they all recommend there equipment and the other guys stuff is all junk.
    ================================================== =======

Yeah. Get someone out there who knows to perform a heat load calc.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Sorry about the pricing I thought it was meant for the dealers not to give out pricing not the HO. Dash replied that the puron is here to stay and will work fine if installed properly. Can a HO assume that if a AS dealer is a customer care dealer or in the case of Carrier a 5 star dealer that the job will be done correctly or should the HO look for other criteria to determine if the job will be done properly? Thanks

With the Carrier Five Star/Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer,you have a one year money back satisfaction ,backed by Carrier.May not guarantee it gets down right the first time,but you can bet they'll get it right,or your money back.Best guarantee in the industry.

Where in Florida are you located??

You ought to have that with any dealer and he ought to be the one who backs it up. (But I know many dont).

Assuming that 2010 is the drop dead date for R-22, what are the chances that there will be a competitor to R410A in the next 5 years? I see most equipment mfrers (except Goodman) have R410 now. Are there any other refrigerants that are being tested and might be approved before then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast