I'm getting burned out on the cheapo drill bits (for drilling metal) that I've been using and have looked at some Dewalt and Ryobi sets with the titanium? coating. Then I saw another set that was made of cobalt.

What's the best material to look for?

In my humble opinion for drilling anything with a hand drill, the TiN coating (titanium, or any other coating for that matter) are worthless and don't do anything for the bit.

If you treat a regular drill bit (just good grade steel, not the cheap carbon steel version) it'll last you a long time. Not to mention spending $5 on a big is a lot easier to take breaking one than the spendy versions.

Now if you are running a CNC operation or into some exotic metals, then MAYBE go with a coated bit.

*edit*
    just a fun fact, but most all coatings will actually make the bit more dull, it just keeps the friction down, mostly in the flute's.

[Edited by amickracing on 08-24-2005 at 10:51 PM]

I drill a lot of stainless.

I get the jobber length bits from franklin machine. (best price)

It is a split tip 132* bit. It cuts through stainless like nobody's business. Warning... cut slow and you can save the bit and reuse it for years.

http://www.fmponline.com

mid...

pop me your mailing address and I will send you one to play with.

cut slow and you can save the bit

did everyone hear that? I didnt think so , but it is true . and as you are drilling you add some type of cutting oil you will extend the life of a bit even longer.

135 deg split points work great, but if you are shopping for bits , a good quality high speed steel set will be just fine . The bigger the bit the slower you go and let the bit do the cutting. Drilling a 1/2 " hole ---drill a pilot hole first...or two

I've had good experiances with the better DeWalt and Milwaukee bits.

O.P. drill bits are the best all around hands down best.

Thanks guys. I ended up buying the DeWalt split point cobalt set AND a bottle of dark, sulphur thread cutting oil, which is supposed to prolong the life of the bits. I'm only using them to drill through steel and iron (no stainless or wood). Hopefully they'll wind up being less expensive than the cheeeep ones I've been tearing up